a few quick quad questions

Hi Jasper, so funny that you responded. I thought you were the one asking about the griffin fin placement. LOL. I mentioned to the poster that I haven’t had a chance to ride the board with the inverted fins yet. I surf on the south shore and it has been very small for the last month or more. When the waves were good it was too crowded for me to get waves on that board. Once the west and north swells start coming in more people will head north, and I hope we get some days where there are waves all over the island.

Greg’s fins have a different foil from fins you get from other companies. They seem to be thickest near the front and then get thin quicker. If you don’t look carefully the foil almost seems flat as it tapers to the rear, and he liked having a sharp rear edge. I cut myself several times on his fins, so I would take 400 grit sandpaper and dull the rear edge some. The first time I cut myself, it was a finger and I was taking a blood thinner. I couldn’t get the cut to stop bleeding so I had to go in. When he talked about these things it was beyond my understanding. Board design was something I paid more attention to.

I haven’t seen the real fins that Cheyne sells. After seeing his videos and then looking at the airplanes he was inspired by, it seemed to make sense. I used a foil I thought would be good. I’ve only used those fins twice, but I liked how loose the board was. I put a tri-fin set in one of my boards and it worked fine. The other one is the quad with the proboxes. I rode that with the normal inserts and have switched them to the inverted inserts. I also have a twin set in a small wave pool board I made and rode that several times. The inverted cant was something I thought about years ago. I can’t remember if it was Bill Thrailkill who originally mentioned it, but I noticed that the fastest jet made, the Lockheed SR-71 has inverted cant.