A question about Balsa/eps construction....

O.K I haven’t read about the whole ‘Vaccuum Bagging’ Stuf… But I’m wondering… Does a board made with EPS and Balsa have to be vaccuum bagged to glass…

Also how do you get the Balsa to go around the rails (simply bending?)

EPS is styrophome isn’t it?

And in really short/simpleness what is vaccum bagging… (I don’t need to know how to do it… just what it is?)

All help greatly Appriciated…

Josh.

I’m sorry, I don’t mean to sound critical, but Bert’s vacuum bagging thread was one of the best things I’ve seen on Swaylocks and that is saying alot. He took a huge amount of time and effort to take us step by step through the process - even pictures. Read it. Over 6000 other people have.

Don’t be sorry… if its criticisium its creative critisism… I’ll check the thread out… I didn’t check it yet as it could be to compleciated for me but I’ll check it out…

Sorry,

Josh.

Quote:
O.K I haven't read about the whole 'Vaccuum Bagging' Stuf... But I'm wondering... Does a board made with EPS and Balsa have to be vaccuum bagged to glass...

Also how do you get the Balsa to go around the rails (simply bending?)

EPS is styrophome isn’t it?

And in really short/simpleness what is vaccum bagging… (I don’t need to know how to do it… just what it is?)

All help greatly Appriciated…

Josh.

1. you don’t have to bag it, but it would be best. You could do a lot of clamping and weights instead.

2. the easy way it to not wrap the rails but to build the rails up out of balsa as well. search on Bert’s perimeter stringers. I think this is what sabs also does.

3. yes, exspanded ploy styrene (sp?) - styro…

4. vac bagging made simple… think of laminating materials together (either different foams to make a sandwich core, or your core/blank and glass) and then butting into a big plastic bag and sucking the air out of the bag to creat a partial vacuum. That is vac-bagging. This has several benefits: helps remove the air from the resin/epoxy making it stronger, provides even presure throughout to increase bonding of surfaces together, with the use of aditional materials you can improve your resin to glass ratio increasing your end product strength.

I’d still suggest reading Berts sandwich construction thread and the surfboards construction for the masses thread. The 2nd has some other links to good previous vac-bag threads as well. Even if you don’t go down that path it is good to know and offers insite in how to improve standard construction approaches as well.

Thanks 4est! That was exsactly what i was looking for…

I didn’t know what the basic thing about it was and i thought i should get that done packed before reading berts threads,

Thanks Again!

Josh.

ok I have read breafly through berts thread and think ive learned abit…

OK so Vac bagging is getting say a esp shape and say 4 0z glass and then…

Do you glass it like normal and then vacuum it or do you vacbag the blank/glass the resin it?

So you put it in a bag and suck out all the air with a pump

and then remove the bag, and your board is ligther and stronger due to having no air in it?

O.K I think im starting to understand…

Thanks for the help?

Josh, I think you got it but some of your comments made me wonder so…

There are 2 things going on. There is vac-bagging different core materials together to create/construct a sandwich core, and then there is vac bagging your laminating fiberglass. In the laminating case you glass like normal then vac-bag it while the epoxy cures. This helps draw the air out of the epoxy making it stronger, adhears the glass to the blank well, with use of bleeder material sucks the excess resin out so you get a better glass/resin ration making the laminate stronger. In both cases, sandwich and laminating, you can think of the baggin process as clampling the entire process to provide constant inward pressure from all sides to ensure that your surfaces are held together during the suring process.

Thanks heaps 4est… If I was old enough I’ld buy ya a beer.