A (short) Personal Short Board History

In early 1959 I built and rode a 7’ 11’’ x 20’’ Balsa Pig, at WindanSea. Average board around then was 9’ 6’‘. By late 1960 I was riding a 9’ 7’’ x 21’’ foam board. Then I moved up into 10 foot plus, big wave guns. By 1969 my go-to board for everything, California and Hawaii, was 7’ 10’’ x 21’‘, with a 7’’ sq tail. By 1971 I was down to 6’ 3’‘, but quickly moved back up to 7’ 10’’ x 21.5’’ as the best all around size for my skill level, and type of waves I was interested in. My point is, that smaller boards are no mystery to me. I’ve made plenty of them for others, well down into the 5 foot range, as far back as 1970. So, no one should be surprised at my latest commission, of a 6’ 8’’ x 21’’ all around surfboard for California waves, of all kind. These kind of boards are really fun to make, because the design surpasses the expectations of the rider by such a high degree. The fin setup will be as a Twingle. A system that has proven to be highly efficient in extracting wave energy, to propel the board across the wave. More to come on this project, after the blank arrives, and I get into it. It will get one of the historic Red Dot decals.

i Kant set still, with perspiration all. Baited breeth.

Yes…I smell the bait.

Care to share some design specs so I can build one for me :)…
Alter all the love I have shown you over the years hahaha
but, If you wouldn’t mind love to give one a shot.
What you reckon :wink:
?

I'll give it some thought.

Bil be doin sum high teck materialize stuff. Jes wach. They did not name a surf beach contest ater him. Bills beach in aesterilian. Hel its de Bills Beach- Dip Curl pro!

-butt

… love ya work… Sleep on it :slight_smile:
geez i’m rude sometimes (most of the time)… i’ll tone it down.

Hi Bill, I decided that the next board I make will be the 8’ template you gave me.
I cut out the rocker from a piece of masonite, and I made the spin template for now. I took out the half template I made last year that was based on what I thought your board looked like and I was pretty close. I drew your shape and will revise that template. I also checked your rocker against what I’ve been using recently, and made a few adjustments to an older rocker table.
I’m really happy with my quiver now, so I’m going to take my time with this one, I don’t know how long it will be.
Thanks for the template, I think it will be a good board.

Bill, your template would make an assortment of good boards. I think the outline of the stoker-v is similar, and I always thought those boards looked good.
I am currently loving the slightly rounded square tail, and your tail is very close to what I’ve been using. I have on boards from 6’2" to 6’7" typically about 21" wide. The only difference is I’m using 3 fins on these shorter boards. I make the tails as wide as my foot long, and the rail line in the tail is a bit straighter.
I find that I can set my foot back on the tail and get really hard gauging top turns and cutbacks, but I can also step up a bit and get nice drawn out bottom turns as needed.

Sharkcountry,
I’ve made numerous boards with that template, that have been proclaimed to be ‘‘magic boards’’ by the fellows I made them for. Several of my personal boards, fell into that category too. You will surprise yourself, with how well the boards you make with that template, will perform for you.

Bill, the templates I made will be treasured. I can already tell that they will be good, and where I may have been off on the rocker I’ve been using recently. I already have a few things in mind to use them for. Still looking for that One Board Quiver, but I had a real good time riding my 6’ 2" and 6’ 4" boards during a recent south swell. I want to enjoy that kind of surfing while I still can.

I’m jealous, Sharkcountry. Sounds like you are living a wonderful shaper/surfer life. I hope Oneula is back in the water?

All the best

Sounds like a cool build. Is the rider from down your way???

No, he’s up your way.

Ohhh nice! Maybe I’ll track it down and get a wave on it! Hahah.

I’m hoping rooster shows up at the camp out this year with his singlefin you made him. I want to ride it!!!

Hi Greg, life is good. Bernie has been back in the water, but I have to drag out there. His shoulder still bothers him. I think he will be doing more PT. Hasn’t stopped him from buying more boards. I think he has at least a handful that haven’t touched the ocean yet.

You can’t have too many surfboards.

All the best

If that happens, I hope there are waves DOH or larger, with lots of juice. Rooster’s board is 7’ 9’’ long, and is essentially equal to the 7’ 10’’ board I rode for years. The same board that was comfortable and fun to ride in 15 foot waves at Sunset, as well as the La Jolla Shores beach break .

The board will be there and available to anyone to ride. Mike

Well, it may be Friday the 13th, but I was able to pick up the blank for the 6’ 8’’ x 21’’ board today, that is the subject of my original post. This one is going to be a lot of fun to create. I’ll post some info on the design, as I get into the project, next week.