A Very Special Logo

Sorry!  My bad!  I didn't know you were a shaper.  Haaaa   Cqeers

What I am saying is I answered your original question and mentioned another board I had seen severasl years ago in passing.  At which time you jumped my ass and started this whole deal.  Your problem is you've got too much pride to admit that you f~#ed up.  Cerrado

So, show me an example of what you consider his best work.

You can find a lot of his stuff on this website ( which I contributed many images to, from my own collection)

http://www.myraltis.co.uk/rickgriffin/galleries1.htm

Wait… I wasn’t the one who resorted to name calling and false accusations. I did not f**k up, either. You seem to have all this quite backwards.

You initially f**d up by repeating a ridiculous claim that you heard from someone else. Then, you seemed to get all butt hurt because I blew a giant hole in that claim.

SammyA perhaps if you go back and reread Mcding’s primary posts you can see your comprehension skills are suspect. Nonetheless, I enjoy seeing stuff from your collection. Too bad Griffin is not around today, to call out Brophy on his “style”.

I strongly disagree. I have re-read his comments carefully,  a few times. He seems to take what I said personally and then stooped to name calling rather than trying to discuss the matter like an adult.

I had a conversation with Brody at the Griffin show in Laguna. He said that Rick was a major influence and he has the greatest respect for the man’s work. While I certainly can see that influence in what Brody does, he isn’t as guilty as others who do really bad imitations of El Griffo’s style.

so, d’ya think he did that doors/byrds poster?

it’s the big debate goin’ on in my neighborhood

You mean, this one?

While I can see the arguments for and against, I’m leaning toward no.

This place gets funny sometimes.

[quote="$1"]

This place gets funny sometimes.  

[/quote]

what're you talking about?

Howzit ghetto,You can say that again and the bottom line is that Rick was an insane artisit and any of the older surfers here who were around when he was will have admit what a great artist he was and there is no argument about that fact. I can remember buying the Mag with Murph the Surf on the cover and wish I still had it. Now boys , stop the bickering and get back to building boards and surfing. Aloha,Kokua

Tales From the Tube comic, first printed as an insert in Surfer Mag Vol 12, #6, 1971. Reprinted by the Print Mint as a smaller, separate comic in 1973. Rick also did the poster art for the 1975 film of the same name.

Man from Utopia.

I think I have the original mag with tales from the tube - although probably kinda a beater by now.  I'm gonna go see if I can dig it up.

I posted a pic of the cover of magazine (Vol 12, #6) so that should help you find it. I have three copies of the mag with the comic inside. Plus, a copy of the comic that was removed from the mag. The reprint from Print Mint is smaller, and has a green border down the left hand side while the original has a white border. That’s one way to tell one from the other.

This is the only RG piece I own that is signed. Movie handbill.

Found it!  The mag is trashed, but the comic inside is pretty clean.  Think I'll take it out and put it on ebay, see what happens.

It’s worth more if it’s still in the mag. Even if the mag is trashed, don’t remove it!

Another way to tell the 2nd version from a first printing is that the Print Mint run has a color centerspread with the “Return of Murphy” strip that ran in Surfer 10-3. The version that was in Surfer Mag has no interior color pages.

Edit: I just checked ebay and found these listings.

A copy of the Print Mint version sold for 75. A copy of Surfer w/ the comic sold for 65. The magazine was in excellent condition. Another copy of the small version sold for 25. So, it might be worth your while to list it on ebay. I guess the selling price will depend on who is looking for a copy and how badly they want it. Not long ago, mint copies were getting no more than 50 bucks with most reprints selling for less than 30. Good luck!

Griffin is the archetype of what has become a legitimately collectible-  “Surf Art”.  All others that try to imitate his style are kitch.  I am not a collector, nor do do I claim to be the expert on Griffin’s body of work; nonetheless I have recognized his brilliance since my childhood, just as others have, when we would either wait for our subscription to come and or see it first at the liquor store or Savon or local surf shop.  Never to this day understood the way they would date those old mags, and sometimes the postman wouldn’t get it delivered and some other kid would brag that they got theirs first.  I miss those days.  By the time the next mag would come out, mine would be essentially useless and well worn for any who now would consider themselves a collector.

Surf magazines today are not the same, for they are governed by corporate dictates, only concerned about the bottom line, and marketing strategies to exact tribute from the misinformed.  Furthermore, there has been no one to accede to the throne of surf literature since Drew Kampion faded from the scene.  Pezman only regurgitates half-truths to pad his kingdom.  And G-d bless Minogna who pulled off the biggest coup in the history of surfing, and if you don’t know what I am talking about, your still uninformed and mislead.

Most folks under 50 don’t realize that Surfer Mag was essentially a one man operation in its early days. That man was a very talented artist in his own right and so the mag reflected his sensibilities and standards. Severson recognized the innate talent that Griffin had and gave him a job as the mag’s first staff cartoonist when RG was still in high school.

Two other highly talented people who did early work at Surfer were John VanHamersveld and Mike Salisbury.

http://www.johnvanhamersveld.com 

http://www.mikesalisbury.net/

If I had the funds and could afford original works, those by Severson and Griffin would be the only two from the surfing world I would lay out cash for. Given a chance to own just one painting, I’d pick Griffin’s “Curse of the Chumash”. I spent three whole days at the Griffin exhibit in Laguna, and each day I would sit and stare at that painting for as long as I could without interruption. Seeing it up close was simply amazing.