Accidentally put center FCS plug in side position

Hey Swaylocks, I’m just about finished with my first board and this forum has been a huge help throughout.

I installed FCS 2-tab plugs the other night in my new big boy thruster, and realized the next day that at least one of the “center” plugs is attached to a side fin, and vice versa there’s a rail fin plug in the center.

Can’t tell through the resin yet where the others ended up. I think I have a pretty good idea of how I would go about getting them out and re-doing the install properly with a hole saw and forstner bit, but was really hoping to take it on a test run Friday morning.

Is there any reason not to just ride this thing for a bit with the center and side fin plugs mixed up? Will it noticeably affect performance?

Thanks in advance.

Hello PD,

It seems likeit would be difficult to make any fins work with mismatched angled plugs. The tabs on the fin are  in-line with each other, so the tabs in the board need to both be at the same ‘cant’ or angle for them both to engage and hold the fin. I take it that you did not set the plugs with dummy fins or ???

Link to instructions: PDF file FCS plug install

I used a set of fins because I couldn’t track down the dummies, and they looked ok but the plugs are definitely a little off because of the cant angle difference. I tried inserting a fin just now and you’re right, I think I’ll have to drill these out and set new ones before getting it in the water. 

Drill 'em out.  Use the same hole saw.  You won’t need the Forster bit.  Center a pilot hole on the plug and then hole saw it down.  Then use a pair of pliers or needle nose to wiggle the plug out.

obviously the minions of the revolutionary cepartment of creativity 

have selected you to test that the IKnOW SHIP guys in charge 

of ''this is acceptable performance in contemporary surfing

rule book are or are not full od malarky.

I for one ,a deep seated respect for urphy’s law inspiring all advancment

in Techknowledgiey am hungry for you to revolutioalize surfing for the best possible growth.

this board may not work behind a boat,jetski.wave pool,flowrider.aspen,

THE Great Muto Alta Navarino Palatzo CONTUTI ,jaws, mavalix,or chokeapoop

but it just might be perfect for a savant 6 year old to ride the waves behind te house

with his dad or his mom and cousins to discover that the crooked tippy fin really hangs

the board up and it ges longer noserides with only two fins.

the continuing saga of natural selection

includes boards being born to twist  ,so they really 

go better left than right…

RIDE IT…TOMORROW YOU CAN… BE BATMAN…

…ambrosse…

Ambrose for president!!!

If you haven’t, removed it yet please take this into account. I say this as you mentioned it’s the first board. (and btw I did the same thing with a Gearbox plug once where I put the side plug in back to front, they were easy, removed screws, routed it out, post lamination install. Was not stoked)

The sprung piece of metal rod in the FCS 2 box.

If you try to route or drill out the plug without taking it into consideration first you have a real chance of; best case scenario ruin the bit or blade in the tool, worst case scenario, create a high speed spray of metal shrapnel.

Handle with care.

Edit: Re reading your original post you said FCS 2-tab.

Now that may mean FCS 1, (2 tab) original model two separate circle fin plugs, in this case, ignore me and carry on. If it means FCS 2 (squashed figure of 8 shaped plugs) then listen to me. 

I have a sneaking suspicion its a case of “move along, nothing to see here”.

I was super confused by his reply, haha. Yeah, it’s the very old FCS setup with 2 tabs on each fin. If it were those figure 8 shaped ones I’d be making a jig and routering them out.

On a lighter note, I did paddle it out the other day and it floats. so that’s good news, at least.

now that you paddled it out and it floats

now proceed to love the board for 

who it is ,including the fortunate

fcs mistake ,and let tte board reveal it’s

unique character as the current

greatest surfboard in the known universe

made by hand by you all-in committed to fun

and lightness of being…,congradulations.

…anbrose…

OK, I was gonna stay out of this, but I can’t help myself now.

My amateur advice: leave it as it is until you find an actual factual reason to drill it out.

Here’s the thing: assuming you had the plugs fixed on a fin or the dummy jigs, the actual cavity of the plug where the fin tab goes is set at the angle determined by the fixture.  What may be off is the angle of the plug body within the H-patterned hole, but who really cares?  It theoretically could be weak on one side, but if it breaks, then you can do the fix you’ve been pondering here.

After i built on purpose a dual fins for small to medium waves with no cant and toe 4 years ago, i decided 3 years ago to built a stepup asym with 1 fin in toeside and 2 in heelside with no cant and no toe inclination both of them are still in Indonesia and I’m using them every year. loving them, I’m not so sure if i love them because i built them, the magic of no cant no toe is less drag, (I have even a quad with normal fin setup in Indonesia and a normal truster, and I’m still using them, so i’m still used to normal fin setup). Ride it and enjoy it.