Added wax to PU deck lam - What now?

Was on autopilot after an hour of filler coats for ding fixes. Moved on to lam the deck of my new board and added wax. Yay. Realized my mistake the second I finished.

I’m sure it compromises the integrity of the lamination for a number of reasons.

So what should I do, if anything, before the filler coat? I thought about just letting it be, hoping that the filler coat resin would disolve the top layer of wax and let it rise to the surface.

Wait for it to cure.  Get out some coarse sandpaper - like 60-80 grit and scuff it up.  Ideally just to the point of kissing the cloth.  Your hot coat should stick OK once you do that.

And it works really well. If you have some coarse scotch brit go with it to scuff more depeer in wave fibers.

Brush or squeegee on a “cheater” coat of lam resin and then proceed to hot coat. If you sand lammed glass you’ll get yellow spots all over the place.

I think he accidentally used home made sanding resin to laminate.  I was thinking the surfacing wax might affect the bond between lam and hotcoat.  Not sure why sanding the lam that was done with sanding resin would turn yellow…

They make 8” scotch brite discs that you can attach to a really soft hook and loop pad.  I wouldn’t sand, just use that on a slow sander so it gets into the weave without taking away material.  It’s a great tool to have on hand whenever you need to scuff.

For future reference, you can hotcoat over waxed resin if you act early.  The rule is: if you can still leave a fingerprint in it then the added coat will bond.  You could have hot coated as soon as it gelled and been ok.

Yes the pad is a good idea.