Adding a Mast box to a wooden SUP

Hello all,

I’m making a cedar SUP and am at the point of adding the internal blocking. This SUP will be used as a light wind sailboard as well. I can’t find any clear information on where exactly the mast box should be placed. Can anyone help me out? Thinking just forward of center. The SUP is 11’2" and 30" wide. Not sure what other information is needed. Thanks for any help you can provide.

With a light wind sailboard you would really need a centerboard/fin (could be done with a center fin box). I have been thinking about making a windSUP for a lake I go to regularly. I thought I might order a replacement centerboard cassette and try to retrofit it to my board. With a centerboard/fin the track could be farther forward than standard and would be much better upwind. For medium or high wind sailboards, I always put the track about 60 -65" from the tail to the back of the mast box. This would put the actual mast connection about where your talking about.

Thank you for this info. Is a center fin necessary? I’d really like to avoid cutting into the board too much. I can install a large back fin and thrusters if that is doable.

Mataco, which centerboard cassette are you liking for a retrofit? I have a beginner WS project in mind and may want to go that route.

HaidaSUP, is your project an all-around surfboard-esque shape or more of a boaty flat water shape? I messed with the 11-2 numbers compared to a BIC 11-6 see pic below.

I have a large flat water type SUP that I added a mast track to a couple months ago. My track is a little more forward (80" on a 12’6") but I think it will work with the boat-like design of this board. I am considering redoing the original ventral fin box into a larger center fin as I placed the original ventral too far forward. Now that I have the mast track and sail I think I will need more centerboard-type stability.

You could block for a center fin box and wait to install it. It would be a real hassle to redo blocking in a hollow wood SUP after it’s completed.

Jrandy- here is a link to what I’m making (https://sliverpaddleboards.com/wood-paddleboards/eleven/eleven2/). It’s much more of a boating shape than a surfboard. Installing the blocking for a center fin is a fantastic idea. What type of fin box do you recommend I plan for? I’ve got a standard 10.5" on the tail, thinking this wouldn’t be suitable for a sail center fin. And where would be the ideal position for this box?

You don’t have to put in a centerboard or fin but it may be difficult to ride in really light wind i.e., getting back to where you launched. You can put in a fin box and use almost any fin usually they are larger than the rear fin but it depends on the wind. You would sail it with both the rear fin and the center fin. You could block it for a center fin box but only put it in if you don’t like sailing with just the rear fin. If you have the ability to walk back up the shore you might be okay. A lot depends on your sailing ability.

jrandy - I looked at the current bic cassette but haven’t checked with the shops to see them in person, if possible. I like the centerboards that retract to adjust for the wind/board speed as the balance of the board changes drastically as the board speeds up.

Thanks Mataco.
Haida, that looks like a nice board. If you are putting a Bahne style box in the tail I would do the same thing in the center. I am not an expert.