Adding Wax

How much modifier(wax solution) do you add to laminating resin to make hot coat resin? I have heard 10cc per pint but this doesn’t seem like much for a hot coat resin. I also understand laminating resin will keep longer than hot coat resin, therfore the desire to know how to make hot coat resin.

How much modifier(wax solution) do you add to laminating resin to make hot > coat resin? I have heard 10cc per pint but this doesn’t seem like much for > a hot coat resin. I also understand laminating resin will keep longer than > hot coat resin, therfore the desire to know how to make hot coat resin. I’m ready for someone to correct me but I did a hotcoat last night using 32 oz. of Silmar Lam resin and added about 20-25 cc. of T-100 wax solution. Came out fine. I would like to hear from someone who knows about all of this though. Lamination/1% Catalyst, to make Hotcoat/2% Catalyst + 2% Wax, to make Gloss??

I’m ready for someone to correct me but I did a hotcoat last night using > 32 oz. of Silmar Lam resin and added about 20-25 cc. of T-100 wax > solution. Came out fine. I would like to hear from someone who knows about > all of this though. Lamination/1% Catalyst, to make Hotcoat/2% Catalyst + > 2% Wax, to make Gloss?? I agree with you, Tom. I talked to my supplier last night about this very thing.

I agree with you, Tom. I talked to my supplier last night about this very > thing. Depends on if it is 2%sol. or 4% sol.? @ 2% 30cc per quart.

I say buy the surfacing resin by the quart. It won’t go bad if you use it in time. Beats screwing up a batch and having a lumpy hot coat. Lotta glass shops are buy pre-mix now adays during April thru Sept.

More discussions with my glass supplier…He says pre mix is definitely the way to go. A little more expensive, but easier to use, and more durable. He also said that the surface hardens better than wax adds, thus easier to sand, and holds paint better, if that’s a concern. Another advantage is that it actually seals better than a wax additive.

I don’t know who your supplier is,but the pre-mix I can buy is no different than the lam I get with the exception that it has surfacing agent in it.I buy both,but tend to buy more lam and add,because I can control the situation better.You shouldn’t get charged more for sanding resin from your supplier than lam or even gloss resin.Herb.