After peel ply, looks dry. Fill coat will be ok?

[img=“https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0HQ4sTmMF_cZzF1b0J4U1dZRms”/img]

I used some peel ply and rolled it lightly. The finish looks dry but it’s not. I’m used to the glass blending into the board. Will a fill coat really tidy this up? Something doesn’t seem right

(it’s after glass because it’s adding fins to an already finished board)

What sort of glass fabric is that? Looks like some sort of flat weave. Did you have more resin than cloth by weight before the peel ply? Did you use vacuum?

Ah. Must be the weave of the glass? Must have got the translation wrong.

Didn’t use vacuum, which has worked before. Before peel ply I had more resin than glass

I like the way you think Kookie. The fiberglass patch you chose to use was probably part of the problem.(4-6oz E fiberglass cloth you have done it.) Peel ply works best using a vacuum bag or in this case a 1 gallon ziplock bag of sand as your make shift application of pressure. The best way in my opinion for patching boxes is to place fin box system pre glassing of board and patch prior to glassing too. Actually do this for any fin system, leash plug, camera mount etc. On foam boards you need to be tidy with the resin and taping off of the insert holes. Pre glass patching saves time and can provide a stronger fin box, After sanding you sand back to bottom shape. retape openings and do your final coat. Also when patch is past tacky dry you can continue on to glassing as it is not necessary to wait for complete cure of resin.

It was a combination of Google translate and a supplier sending the wrong weight cloth. Doh.

So I guess I have to sand this off then. Not going to be easy!!

I guess I’ll replace with 2oz ‘plain weave’.

That’s what you have on the wooden board right or is it twill weave?

As I say, easy when doing a new board but this is adding fins to an old board.

edit: came off great with a sharp chisel! was stuck down but really I think it was down to trying this tool. Recommended if you ever get into this situation

I have never had to source composite materials in a foreign language. Maybe you could send a link to your vendor and see if they have the equivalent.
http://www.fiberglasssupply.com/Product_Catalog/Reinforcements/Fiberglass_Fabrics/fiberglass_fabrics.html shows the BGF ‘style’ numbers for various cloths.
those ‘google’ pretty good
http://www.miapoxy.com/p-172-4-oz-fiberglass-cloth-style-1522.aspx - super breakdown of 4oz with a picture w/ an inch ruler
Too bad you are not local, I have a big bag off cut-offs and a 7" sander-we’d have a laugh and most of the repair done before the first beverage is finished…

Thanks for the support bro :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

“Deck cloth” is the go!

Yeah, I’m in SE Asia now, moved over from NZ and the UK and Spain before that. Moving around isn’t easy.

I got in touch with a local shaper. He’s going to sort me out. I was just a bit too proud to ask to be honest. This incident gave me the push. Bit silly really. It’s good to be in touch