Air Angle Die Grinder

Hey Mcding, Pretty sound advice given out by you, many guys like the 2’’ discs like George recommends too.  Ozzy is out of line, and the kind of response he had toward you, makes me not want to post up here anymore, and he even more, he thinks he knows what he’s talking about.  I have bit more to add, but will not share it, because its not common knowledge.  Let’em learn the hard way.

The first guy I ever saw grind laps was a young guy from Santa Cruz and he used a Dremel with a grit barrel.  Blew me away and scared me all at the same time.  With a few  "ooops' I learned to do it.  I cant remember who turned me on to the right angle die grinder.  Probabably saw somebody using one in a glass shop somewhere.  Started out with the two inch and still use them most of the time.  Saw Dave Gott using a three inch in his Glass shop on Maui.  The three inch is a little easier to set flat on the lap.  At least it seems that way.  The two inch is the easiest to find disks for(ie Walmart).   Saw some great deals on 200 disks and a backing pad on Ebay recently.  To each his own.  But it is a simple tool to use and will give you "Pro" laps. 

"I primarily got the tool to grind down the second lap so Im not too concerned with gouging into

the foam. I'll keep using the techinque of pushing the first cutlap into the foam until I get comfortable

with the tool. I'm going with the recommended 3m discs. Thanks everyone."

Don't use the mini-grinder for the second lap, that's the job for the 9-inch grinder.  I didn't realize

you were grinding cut laps, ha!!!  No need to grind them, just the free laps need a little dressing.

Get good with the tools, especially the die grinder and the sander.  That is the main thing to up

your quality and speed. 

(Believe it or not, sometimes speed will make better quality...)

If you touch a board too much or fuss with it, the board gets dirty and will come out like shit...  ...kinda like your face ;)....

George

Like George said.  Don't forget the acetone bath.

I rough up my disks on an old board/broken half to

remove the loose bits of grit before I grind laps.  Here's

some options.  I have had this grinder for over 20 years.

It's a Milwalkee Pneumatics (sp?) and when I was a

plant manager for a plastics company these would last in a

production environment grinding aluminum molds

for about 5 years.  A really good tool. Don't know if they

make them any more.

Thanks for the picture.   Looks exactly like my Chicago Pnuematic from Harbor Freight,  Right down to the fact that it has no safety .  Which I like.  The safety is just something extra to think about.

Really? After the way McDing went off when my advice was a little different than his and he acted like I was doing something wrong to the guy?

It was really easy to tell that shitface was a total beginner. If you two couldn’t pick up on that it’s not my fault. That’s why I suggested him using some caution and even exploring some hand tools also. According to McDing, because he bought a $15 air tool “you’re and advanced board builder now”. Yeah, right. Now we know how much of a beginner he really is by wanting to use the wrong tool for the wrong thing. Not that there is anything wrong with being a beginner. We all were at one time. But starting out it is usually better to use some caution and even hand tools to get a better feel for it before throwing 10,000 rpms at it.

I have so much fear of a simple power tool? Exactly the kind of comment I would expect from you McDing.

No "goin of".  Just happy to see a novice take some sound advice that has been tossed around on this forum by myself and others.  Also dissappointed to see someone who's afraid to acquire the skills  necessary to us a tool like a die grinder discourage a fellow novice from progressing.  Your skin's too thin dude and you don't know when to leave it alone.  Last word is yours osburne.  I'm pau with this one.

Plus one is right-------You can always take care of your second lap with the sander when you sand the hotcoat.  Or use the die grinder either way.  The die grinder works great on the first lap to the deck foam.  Check out Greg Loehr's DVD Epoxy 101 Glassing.  It'll give you a good visual on how to hold the tool and how to place it on the lap.

I also got the HF right angle die grinder about 4 months ago.  What a time saver!  3" 3M rolocs from Ebay, I think I got something like 25 for cheap with a backing pad.  The right angle die grinder is my go to tool.  laps, glass folds, weird high spots, noses, and glass on fins are a snap.  The trouble spot for me has always been the little spot at the fin box closest to the rail edge.  Always show weave after sanding.  Now zip/zap I can flatten it out before I do the top lam and rarely do I get a high spot.

A few things, I should have gotten an extra backing pad.  You can see how it gets worn down and their cheap.  Also don’t leave the disks in the acetone for too long.  I think something like 5 minutes is enough, too long in the acetone and the roloc screw on the back of the disk will come off.  

When the tool is new they put an extra amount of lubricating oil in the tool to prevent corrosion.  Got to watch out as it spews everywhere.  Some of the models have an option for a front exhaust to blow the work area clean as you use the tool and it will airbrush your board with oil when new.  Most are the rear exhaust type and it gets mostly on your hand.  After some use the extra oil gets ejected and isn’t a problem.  I also wouldn’t recommend the front exhaust model just for the reason of contamination from the compressor.  The high speed of the disk pretty much acts like a fan anyway.

Besides it ain’t no big deal, silly little 3" disk when you use this for noses  

DMP----Good stuff! It's like when you make that breakthrough from a Surform or Sanding Block to an Electric Planer.  Scary at first, but with a little perserverance the light bulb comes on.

I’m sure you think everyone has a thin skin that objects to your behaviour McDung.

For you backyarders lurking for tips, if the world or air tools is new to you - before you run out to buy your new die grinder, first do your research on oil vs oil-less compressors, CFMs, air consumption requirements, compressor noise, etc

Hope this little .02 from me, derived from the infamous “Ask Me How I know” files, helps at least one other noob.

In my mind, if you have an air compressor and are glassing boards, there is no reason not to own and use this tool. Quickly put it to good use cleaning up some big lumps on the lam and glassed on fins. It was really helpful in grinding down some of the excess fin rope I had at the finbase. I made the same mistake of cutting my fin rope too long on my last board and it took me forever to sand it down by hand. Also got this inexpensive polishing kit that I plan to use for sanding and polishing in between the fins: http://www.harborfreight.com/3-inch-mini-buffing-accessory-kit-95394.html.

Exactly!  Another good reason to own one.  Gradually you'll get used to it and eventually realize that the right tools will put you over the line and  in the camp of people who know what they are doing.  Sorry about your tint job on the other thread.  Just get out there and ride it.  Every shaper/builder screwed up a few before they started to get it dialed in.  You have the advantage of Sways.  Us "old farts" did it by trial and error and scamming every trick we could from others.

I just re-read your post;  I would say you are right.  I've never seen anyone do the technique you are speaking of.  So either it went out in the '80's or was never that widely used.

Good comments George.  $#!tty comments cracked me up.

I second McDings notion for the use of right angle die grinders. I use a 3" soft roloc pad myself. Thanks for switching me on to it McDing.