Air Angle Die Grinder

Just got the air right-anlge die grinder and 3" disc holder from harbor frieght. Can someone reccommend the best 3" discs and source? I dont mind buying in bulk online as long as I’m getting the right ones. I’ve heard some people have had discoloration problems when grinding down the lap. Thanks

Grainger has a huge assortment.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/search.shtml?searchQuery=3m%20abrasive%20discs&op=search&Ntt=3m%20abrasive%20discs&N=0&sst=subset&cm_guid=4-_-5480387215-_-384948478-_-e&cm_mmc=PPC:%20MSN-_-TPN%20-%20Abrasives_Nov%20’10-_-Abrasives:%203M-_-3m%20abrasive%20discs

Which type of disk attachment did you get?  There’s Roloc which has a male thread on the disk and the other is Speed Lok which has the female thread on the disk.  I believe its the Aluminum Zirconium that are the best.

dd

I don’t remember if I got them from Wal-mart, Lowes, or Harbor Freight, but I use a 2" and 3" hard rubber flat disk so I can glue the white oxide paper to it with feathering adhesive. If you got it to knock down laps, you don’t want to use the red oxide or colored paper like yellow automotive type. Traces of the paper color will come off on to the laps. At least it did for me when I first used it.

Heres the HF link to the disco holder I got: http://www.harborfreight.com/3-inch-disc-holder-with-1-4-quarter-inch-shank-99560.html.The description or specs dont say, but I’m pretty sure its the roloc discs that I need. I’m gonna try out the blue or green Aluminum Zirconium discs in Dave’s link on the laps of a board Im working on right now thats will be getting paint on the hotcoat. Ozzy does the flat rubber flat disc just twist into the roloc disc holder. Cutting and glueing my trusty mikra white oxide paper onto the flat rubber disc seems like a much cheaper way to go. Thanks for the help guys

Heres the HF link to the disc holder I got: http://www.harborfreight.com/3-inch-disc-holder-with-1-4-quarter-inch-shank-99560.html.

The description or specs dont say, but I’m pretty sure its the roloc discs that I need. I’m gonna try out the blue or green Aluminum Zirconium discs in Dave’s link on the laps of a board Im working on right now thats will be getting paint on the hotcoat. Ozzy does the flat rubber flat disc just twist into the roloc disc holder. Cutting and glueing my trusty mikra white oxide paper onto the flat rubber disc seems like a much cheaper way to go. Thanks for the help guys

I’m pretty sure that’s a Roloc by the nut on the shaft. The ones I have are molded together as one piece, shaft and disk.

You just made a quantim leap forward in the quality of your lay-ups.  It's true alot of guys do just use sandpaper like Mirka put on the backing pad with 3M adhesive.  Either 77 or 45.  I've always preferred 3M "Greencorps" Roloc Disks.  Usually fifty grit.  In a pinch though the regular disks that you can buy at Walmart or Harbor Freight in the Automotive section work fine.  Greencorps are just my preferance.  When they start to get a little gunked up you can drop them in an acetone bucket for awhile and clean them up for reuse with a small fine wire brush.  You can buy boxes of  them on Ebay.   Congratulations.  You've became an advanced board builder.  Finally someone listened to me about Harbor Freight die grinders.

Double post

Shitface, I can do the same thing with the aluminum oxide (white) paper wrapped around a short piece of 1x2. It just takes a little longer, but less chance of gouges. Good luck.

I don't get it Osborne.  Why do you discourage a guy from doing it right?  Pros use right angle die grinders and 3M disks..  He's got what he needs and it cost him less than fifty bucks.  You're more likly to gouge the foan with your 1x2".  Open you mind dude and don't be afraid.  A die grinder is easier, quicker and less likly to gouge that a 1x2".  So what do want him to do ?   Save his receipt . Take the die grinder back and do it your way?  If that's all you've got(a 1x2") fine.  Don't discourage him from doing it the right way.

Ingersoll-Rand mini right angle die grinder with 1/4" collet, 2" roloc backing wheel, Greencorp 50 and

80 grit discs, and a small dish of acetone.  Literally 1000's of boards done with zero tags, no detectable

scarring in side lighting.  Take out soaking discs and quickly, mount and spin 'em hard to clean.

That's how it's done...

I didn’t mean it that way, I guess I was just saying it for all the others in the forum that may not have one. Did you not get that? He is less likely to gouge with a power tool? Really dude?

I figured you were just pumped because someone took your advice, but now you’re just being an ass.

Yeah PlusOne, I have one and use it too, but it may not be the best thing for novices. Someone could end up with a bunch of half-moon gouges if they’re not careful. I have a friend who’s not a novice at all and still uses a 4in1 file, but I dare not bring up that alternative either, I guess.

Seriously !  Less likly to gouge.  A three inch is a nice flat surface.  Handle and trigger in the right hand.  Left hand on the right angle for guidedance and stabiltity.  Once around the block.  That's it!   Super simple  If you are using a 1x2",  all it takes is a twist of the wrist to gouge the foam.!

I guess all this grinding is on free laps or something !! What ever happened to tapeing at the turn of the rail then when the resin is rubbery dry, fold over the tape and cut a taper on the glass cloth with a razor knife and not need to grind anything. Or is this something that can only be done with epoxy. Havent done polyester since the mid 1980s so don't remember if polyester gets hard to fast to cut a taper.

Yes! and there are all the little tricks about pressing it down with a seam roller or thimble etc.   But if you don't want to sit over it like a mother hen waiting for chicks to hatch, a die grinder is the way to go.

Like you could never do with a power tool? Wow. Please stop.

Shitface, I know they described one of these in the JC Carper 101 video, and if you are careful they work great. I just hope you understand the potential for damage and scarring if you are not used to one or inexperienced. Good luck with it.

Wow!   Sooo much fear of a simple tool and process.

I primarily got the tool to grind down the second lap so Im not too concerned with gouging into the foam. I’ll keep using the techinque of pushing the first cutlap into the foam until I get comfortable with the tool. I’m going with the recommended 3m discs. Thanks everyone.

So....you still have Shit on your face...Shitface...it must stink....most likely only a face a mother can love....do you have wierd rashes and other unexplained stuff on your face?...yuck.....I bet your hair is greasy too.

Over here at the Lab we use Quality 3M Products. Get yourself set up with the Quality 3M Roloc disc. We start with a 3" backing and after the sanding discs get worn out they get cut down to be used with the 2" backing. 50 grit.80 grit and 100 grit. Grinding makes heat...beware...and have fun.....time to wash up...

Stingray