air bubbles when using q-cell filler

Hi, 

I’m discovering air bubbles as soon as I start to sand dings where I used resin + q-cell filler (toothbrush consistency).

Any idea of what’s happening? Really frustrating to apply q-cell filler 2 times to close the holes after sanding.

Thanks!

What kind of resin? 

polyester

…hello, the consistency could seems ok (apparently) but when you apply it actually “inside” there are plenty of non mixed (dissolved) charge with the resin and that is the problem.

Too much charge is the other problem.

Also, aerosil is better.

Any chance room temperature could be an issue, i.e. better to work in a dropping temperature, so the blank doesn’t need to off-gas air bubbles once you seal it with your mix.

It you are are skimming a shallow ding, you should have no problem with that consistency.  Usually the problem arises when you have not completely filled the void.  Air is trapped and then rises to the surface during set time.  When I am filling a deep gash/repair,  I mix it extra thick, about the consistency of Spackle.  When I apply it, I use a plastic squeege and force it deep into the gash. I don’t level it , but force enough in that it swells above the surface.  When I do leash plugs etc. I make sure to put soo much into the hole that when the plug is inserted it flows out of the hole and makes a solid ring around the plug.  When I take enough care to get plenty of filler into the hole, I don’t have air bubbles or voids.  Same logic applys when installing Futures Fin Boxes with Resin or Resin/Cabosil mixture.

Many thanks to everybody! I’ll have this information on the next repair for this monday.

Have a great weekend waves 

I do a stiff mix on a scrap board of wood  with a pallette knife, rather than mix in a jar. It squashes out the bubbles and the stiff mix is lighter and sands easier. For structural stuff I make chop strand.

Yuuup