air bubbles

i hot coated my board & after i sanded there is a good amount of little holes what cause this & is it fixable & what can i do next time to prevent this from happen again

those are pinholes, or blowthrus.

its kinda hard to keep them from happening, but before you glosscoat, use a toothpick and resin, and fill in all the ones bigger than a pencil tip, otherwise they will probably blow through again.

Cooling PM late afternoons, squeegee gloss resin into the pinbubbles. It’s easy to find the ones you missed, by a casual glance. Redo if you miss, you have 14 minutes pot life after mixing in catalyst.

I was told that my neighbor in his boat repair and surfbaord building uses some type of metal roller device to remove all the air bubbles when he’s glassing.

He swears by it.

Kind of looks like a roller with little metal pads on it to puncture and push out the air trapped under the glass.

Saw some at Fiberglass Hawaii the other day but I didn’t know what they were for.

I’ve never seen anyone talk about it in any of the carper videos or on the forum.

Everyone seems to just use the ol’ squeegie technique…

Do the rollers really work?

ie do they help get rid of your air bubbles?

Anyone here with any experience with them?

I’ve used one of those rollers but only used on chopped strand thrown on by a chopper onto a mold.

They work well but I think a squeegee would be more appropriate for a board. They are really good for doing multi layers like laying up fin panels.

Easy to make too, just get 20 washers each of 2 sizes, slide them onto a bolt big small, big, small etc until it’s tight.

An old shovel handle works well for a D bracket to attach it to.

cheers

Hicksy

Boat builders often use chopped strands of wovenroven and other rough, junk fiberglass cloth, and a squeegee just pulls the loose rovens around, so roller is the call.

Surfboard builders soon learn to laminate with adaquate saturation and mellow squeegee, so no pinbubbles after your 5th laminate, unless you try to skimp.

Don’t skimp.

One, I’ve done fiberglass decks and roofs in the past and those rollers were the only thing we used. Pretty much mandatory to get large areas of glass down without problems.