AirBrush 101 - need explanation of "paper tape" and "rail markeing tools"

Need explanation of two tools shown in the video – one is a “paper tape machine” – it rolls off a sheet of paper with the tape attached to its edge – very groovy, I must have it. The second was called the “Rail marking tool” used for marketing off placement for tape prior to spraying the rail – anyone know what/where to find this? Do you make your own or can you buy them. Any info… Thanks Shine http://users.leading.net/~shine

Shine: The paper/tape and the roll applicator is an autobody supply item. The paper is relatively costly compared to taping your own paper but it is convenient in production. The rail marking tool is something you can make, see the “diagram” section, I believe Peter R. has a drawing for the basic concept. All it is an “L” shaped tool that follows a line and scribes a uniform line using a needle point or marking pencil. Used for years in cabinet shops and finish carpentry. I made my own of 1x3 hardwood, drill a centered hole in one end, slide a PVC pipe through the hole and then drill spaced holes along the PVC to accomodate a pencil, a paint marker, and a sharp needle point. The variations in width are managed by sliding the PVC pipe in or out. I added a brass thumbscrew that secures the PVC to the hardwood piece. Great for rail band guidelines, cut lap guides and paintpen pinlines. Screw a bottle opener on the other side and you’ve got the swiss army knife of the backyard shaper. Tom>>> Need explanation of two tools shown in the video – one is a “paper > tape machine” – it rolls off a sheet of paper with the tape attached > to its edge – very groovy, I must have it. The second was called the > “Rail marking tool” used for marketing off placement for tape > prior to spraying the rail – anyone know what/where to find this? Do you > make your own or can you buy them. Any info…>>> Thanks>>> Shine

Need explanation of two tools shown in the video – one is a “paper > tape machine” – it rolls off a sheet of paper with the tape attached > to its edge – very groovy, I must have it. The second was called the > “Rail marking tool” used for marketing off placement for tape > prior to spraying the rail – anyone know what/where to find this? Do you > make your own or can you buy them. Any info…>>> Thanks>>> Shine …the paper tape device you can get at a industrial hardware warehouse. The rail tool you’ll have to make…It’s pretty simple just a few pieces of wood and a burnedout roller pen.Make a “L” shape with the wood.Tap a hole in the top piece and insert the inkless pen(glue in place if nes.).Herb.

Home Depot or any home improvement store has the paper/tape masking machine in the paint dept.

The masking tape/paper dispenser can be purchased at just about any automotive paint store. One of the best is made by 3M. They even make a dispenser on wheels that will hold 3 to 4 rolls of paper of different widths. The simpler version is adjustable to hold paper up to a width of about 18". The price for a roll of paper varies with the width, but averages around $12. I’ve used one for over 30 years (for automotive painting) and they work great. Much better than a roll of tape and the Sunday Times used in the poorer days.

You can use a piece of cardboard,just bend it to what you need and poke a hole in it ,insert you sharp,and you have a rail tool(I did this for years before going to just eyeballing it).Herb.