Airbrush paint disappearing

Hi friends, I’ve searched the archives with little luck finding an answer to my problem. I’ve made about 30 boards, and have airbrushed something on most of them. It has been brought to my attention that some colors are fading badly, or even almost disappearing, and it happens fast. After spackle I do whatever airbrushing. Go through the glassing and finishing process, everything still looks great. About a week after the boards completely done some colors have extremely faded or almost disappeared. Any thoughts? Thanks very much

Also, I’m using EPS foam with Resin research CE epoxy

What kind of paint are you using?? 

Also, have you glassed any with an epoxy that doesn’t have the optical brightener?? 

That stuff can do funny things to colors. 

Thanks for the response. I’ve been using Jaquard brand airbrush paints. Not that brand for any particular reason. But yeah I have heard that about optical brighteners. That could be the problem. Some of the paint just kind of disappears. I don’t know where it goes. Someone said that’s the problem with neons and maybe paint the black white first. 

UV exposure will allow fading to occur quickly. I had a bottom orange fade with bottom lam on rack in my curing in hot house.  direct uv to front third of board. When flipping to do deck 5 hours later I noticed the extreme fading in that area. Very obvious. Spayed clear roof with paint from inside over the glassing racks to solve problem. I have never used spackle.

Thanks man. Neon orange was one of the colors I’ve had problems with. Your fading occurred during curing due to uv exposure? I work in a fully enclosed warehouse type unit with no windows or sunlight coming in. Board looks great finished off the rack, it’s not until a week or so later after being surfed that the colors fade out

It seems the paint is fading post lam … even if the paint isn’t super UV stable the clear should be UV stable. Which should prevent the paint from UV damage. 

So I’m painting directly on the foam then glassing. I don’t spray any clear over the paint before glass.  Should I be spraying a clear coat over the paint on the foam before glass? 

I have had a similar problem with mixing resin pigment. In this pic you can see my tan is turning green. Its now completely green.

Flourecent paints have terrible lightfastness. They don’t last very long out in the sun. A photochemical reaction happens when flourecent colors are exposed to the ultraviolet part of sunlight. That reaction is what makes the colors glow so vividly. Eventually that reaction begins to peter out and the colors start losing their pop quickly. Most pro quality paints will have a pigment lightfastness rating somewhere on the container it came in. I being the best - like the pigments used in paints for outdoor murals. III being the worst - flourecents are a III. UV inhibitors found in most resins these days can slow down the inevitable for a while.

I had a red board once turn a horrible shade of orange.

It’s your paint.  Nothing to do with RR, EPS , Spackle or Optical Brightner. OB May change the tone or shade of a color that is underneath, but if anything will make it last longer than Non OB Epoxy.

Thank you everyone for the feedback. I really appreciate it and all from what I’ve gathered here and from calling airbrush suppliers, don’t use fluorescents. They disappear on bikes, cars, surfboards and everything else under the sun

fiberglass hawaii or dayglo flourescent paints. add a bit of white to your flouro’s. plenty of flouro boards out there that dont fade in a week! i see boards from the 80’s that still have wicked flouro paint jobs. the paint you are using is junk…switch it up!