All in favor of a Pipemasters Redux say "I"

“I”

Could the Pipemasters have a longer window so it doesn’t have to be run in Trestles like conditions (admitted exaggeration)? Its the last contest in the ASP schedule. I know the pros have a long year on the road, but isn’t this the Everest of the whole series? The final test of mettle? The tour allows for plenty of small wave wizardry or performance waves with stops at Trestles, Brazil, Snapper, etc.  As a spectator I want to see 10ft Pipe balls to the wall. 

If I was a first time unproven winner like Flores, this win just wouldn’t feel whole. 

Dude, its the ocean you can't tell it what to do. Sometimes its good sometimes its not. Unless you stage an event in a wave park.

Not epic, but some really good tube riding.

hi flatlands

i would go as far to say that they should do less contests, but extend the waiting period by at least a week for every contest.

then do rock reef breaks left, right. , or a point break

ultra shallow coral reefs, idem

sand bar break, idem

i did looove watching pipe, the HD quality is just plain amazing. we have a big screen computer screen, so it was nearly like watching a dvd/video

especially that shot of jeremy-e semis in the tube, wow!

wowter

Non residents tend to forget that there is a population that calls it ‘Home’ … that there are people that live, work and surf here 365 days of the year. Our whole north shore winter is one big contest waiting period… ‘waiting’ to restrict some of the best surf of the season at the best spots for a select few.

Don’t get me wrong, I am not anti-contest, but I do agree that that the limits need to be constantly monitored. Just my .02

As noted in my other thread the waves were heavier here in New Jersey this week than they were at the Pipe Masters.  I think it should be handled like the Eddie.  It should be no less than double overhead for the contest.......If that means a smaller specialty field  or a one day event or no event at all, so be it.  The Pipe Masters needs to showcase the best Pipeline surfers.

What really gets me with this years contest is that your average hot local from wherever could have advanced up thru the field because the heats were more about small wave skills and the pure luck of being in the right place at the right time when the one wave in 15 minutes came thru.  This years contest.....and if I remember right last year's too.....definatly did not showcase the skill of the surfers who surf there and the raw power of Pipeline.

Here is a better idea, drop it off the ASP schedule altogether and make it a specialty invitation only event.  Sorry, but I have no interest in watching the ASP rippers doing airs in tiny surf at Pipeline!!!!

I think you meant ''say aye''.

"I" is a personal pronoun, ''aye'' is an affirmation.

OK, language lesson over. Back to ASP-bashing....

"I" pipe sucked this year,,,looked dam fun though at backdoor

Bud: I feel ya. I hadn’t considered the residents perspective. Must be a pain

Mako: Were definitely on the same page. In fact maybe New Jersey can be the back up venue going forward! You’re pictures were phenomenal!

Mike: Thanks for the english lesson. I did mean “aye”

We live on a small island, and the contests change the spots up so much. Not just from restricting the beach from surfing, but the crowds, traffic and all the other things that tend to make life a lot more difficult for those that live in that area.

Getting through the 7 mile miracle stretch in winter is tough, and it’s everyday.

We just had the Honolulu Marathon and that restricted traffic and
parking along a long stretch of Oahu’s south shore, including Ala Moana
Beach all the way through Waikiki, Diamond Head, and all along
Kalanianaole Hwy, to Hawaii Kai. I think it’s over 10 miles of shoreline. Getting to the waves can be a problem,
and we had really good waves on the south shore that weekend.

“Aye.”  How about making it a real Pipe Master.  Lefts only.  No Backdoor for regular foots.  It’s a tube riding contest, isn’t it?  It was something special when a regular foot won the thing.  Remember Shaun Thomson?  Are you the Pipe Master winner if you won it by going right at Backdoor?  Or, are you the Backdoor Master winner?  Single fins, only.  OK, I don’t care about the single fins. Mike

[quote="$1"]

"Aye."  How about making it a real Pipe Master.  Lefts only.  No Backdoor for regular foots.  It's a tube riding contest, isn't it?  It was something special when a regular foot won the thing.  Remember Shaun Thomson?  Are you the Pipe Master winner if you won it by going right at Backdoor?  Or, are you the Backdoor Master winner?  Single fins, only.  OK, I don't care about the single fins. Mike

[/quote]

Its funny Occy was saying that the first time he surfed pipe he didnt even know what backdoor was he just thought it was a close out lol... its still cool to watch guys at backdoor though and its a challenge for all the goofys

Howzit sharkcountry, I remember it getting crowded in the early 70's when it would get really big. I can't imagine how bad it must get now. Aloha,Kokua

This 2 minutes is better than this year’s Pipemasters. Hilarious.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=7ac_1291773312

As much as I'd like to see the Masters held in classic west swell Pipe lefts, the contest directors have a limited window of opportunity to hold their event.  It does seem like it's been more of a Backdoor shootout for a while now though.  Hopefully Mother Nature will cooperate next year.  This year's Triple Crown did leave much to be desired, accept maybe for the Haleiwa event which had decent waves, but Sunset and Pipe suffered from a lack of decent size swell and and extreme northerly swell direction. I'm a bit relieved the the Triple Crown is over though, hopefully the crowds will ease off a bit.

The whole triple crown was a joke this year.  If your gonna hold it in junk surf, don't bother.  The Puerto Rico contest was better than the Triple Crown.