All those who have never copied a board/design,raise your hand!

I want to make it official…Al, Rusty and anyone else who makes boards, I will take your curves. P.S Anyone can also take them from my boards—They are now public domain (just a few bumps aye)>>> My point is,if someone is going to get that bent out of shape(pardon the > pun)about a beginner asking to pull a template,then that shows me a lack > of"ALOHA".>>> I WAS TAUGHT TO HAVE MANNERS,AND TO ASK FOR THINGS THAT I WANT OR NEED.>>> If the answer is no, accept it,and go on to the next goal.If the answer is > yes,then thank them kindly.>>> But if your salesman are acting like they are the s##t and pass a bunch of > attitude to someone that has a innocent,and honest question/ request,then > in the long run you will be the one that will lose out.>>> We for the most part, all copy each other.>>> This is what progression is about,standing on the shoulders of past > technologies,and ideas.Herb.

I think you missed one BULLSHIT. To think someone could make an exact copy of a board and pass it off as an original is bullshit. I cant see anyone who has made more than a few boards not using their own ideas and ending up with a board that is a composite of many different boards. The guys who post on Swaylock,s do not strike me as copycats but rather innovaters who make boards that are different from the one in vogue. I feel boards mass produced with computer shapers or gost shaper and then sold as originals are more of a fraud. Tuna, When I had just discovered skimboarding, and was growing fascinated with everything that related to surfing and the beach life, I was particularly in awe of the long, flowing curves that made up the much older, local surfers heavy boards. In fact, sometimes very early, I would walk by the unfenced front yards of these respected surfers, pause and squat down long enough to observe their mysteriously elegant fiberglass craft, strewn about in the wet morning grass. Those boards were safe when left out in the open, because in the small fishing village that I grew up in, the subject of stealing was rarely an issue. Even then, it was obvious to me that those smooth designs were composed of far more than just a simple outline curve, but where did they come from? It would have been an incomprehensible mistake for a little kid to sneak onto someone elses property, armed with a roll of paper, pencil and ruler! So, I studied from a safe distance. In fact, for me to even be acknowledged by these big guys, let alone receive the brief chance to lift and examine their surfboards was a huge privilege! About this same time, I was at the beach on a sunny day and happened to glance back at the lengthening shadow of my skimboard standing on edge in the sand and finally made the connection... the curve of the extended shadow was much the same as a longboards template! Of course, shadows had nothing directly to do with waves or surfboards, but it was clear to me that the shapers of those old boards had attempted to harmonize their surfbaord designs with the ever-changing curves of the sea… quite a revelation for a young kid. From that point onward, I was drawn to further appreciate and understand the remarkable design of NATURE. So, I guess in my long winded way, what Im trying to say is... if youre going to copy something, then once in a while, go back and study the source, try and discover YOUR OWN lines by working from the ORIGINAL. They`re already there.

I think you missed one BULLSHIT. To think someone could make an exact copy > of a board and pass it off as an original is bullshit. I cant see anyone > who has made more than a few boards not using their own ideas and ending > up with a board that is a composite of many different boards. The guys who > post on Swaylock,s do not strike me as copycats but rather innovaters who > make boards that are different from the one in vogue. I feel boards mass > produced with computer shapers or gost shaper and then sold as originals > are more of a fraud.>>> Tuna,>>> When I had just discovered skimboarding, and was growing fascinated with > everything that related to surfing and the beach life, I was particularly > in awe of the long, flowing curves that made up the much older, local > surfers heavy boards.>>> In fact, sometimes very early, I would walk by the unfenced front yards of > these respected surfers, pause and squat down long enough to observe their > mysteriously elegant fiberglass craft, strewn about in the wet morning > grass. Those boards were safe when left out in the open, because in the > small fishing village that I grew up in, the subject of stealing was > rarely an issue.>>> Even then, it was obvious to me that those smooth designs were composed of > far more than just a simple outline curve, but where did they come from? > It would have been an incomprehensible mistake for a little kid to sneak > onto someone elses property, armed with a roll of paper, pencil and > ruler! So, I studied from a safe distance. In fact, for me to even be > acknowledged by these big guys, let alone receive the brief chance to lift > and examine their surfboards was a huge privilege!>>> About this same time, I was at the beach on a sunny day and happened to > glance back at the lengthening shadow of my skimboard standing on edge in > the sand and finally made the connection... the curve of the extended > shadow was much the same as a longboards template! Of course, shadows had > nothing directly to do with waves or surfboards, but it was clear to me > that the shapers of those old boards had attempted to harmonize their > surfbaord designs with the ever-changing curves of the sea… quite a > revelation for a young kid.>>> From that point onward, I was drawn to further appreciate and understand > the remarkable design of NATURE. So, I guess in my long winded way, what > Im trying to say is... if youre going to copy something, then once in a > while, go back and study the source, try and discover YOUR OWN lines by > working from the ORIGINAL.>>> They`re already there. Most of my templates have come off of other boards that looked good to me. But since I started shaping, I havent used the curves as I traced them. I usually either move the curve up or down from where it sat on the original. I’ve never used a full length template. One 9’0" I did, had a nose from a 65’ Wardy, mid section of a Diffenderfer, hips off of an 8’6" Aipa and square tail off a 6’6" Blue Hawaii. I’ve been guilty of using other peoples designs (bonzer, nose concaves,etc.)and I appreciate their efforts, but whoever developed these designs had probably got the idea from someone else. I dont think I could copy a particular shape even if I tried. The boards designed by the swaylock community are probably more unique and maybe even cutting edge than anything being done in the commercial arena.

I see one hand,is that it!(Steve Page, you are the start of a new > generation).>>> This is a continuation of my post below in the “copy” > thread.Herb. I’d like to see what SIMON ANDERSON would have to say about this thread.

I’d like to see what SIMON ANDERSON would have to say about this thread. that would be interesting to see what he would say,especially since he really just refined something that had already been done before,so even he copied someone elses stuff…