Another Great one lost

Yesterday, another Pillar of the surfing community passed on. George Downing. He left the world an extensive legacy. We all have used and benefited from his knowledge and design. Another life well lived. God Bless. Aloha No. Another Iron man with a wooden board goes to the deep six. Ain't many left. If you can, look them up and let them know how much they are appreciated.

Again a legend passing.
Downing was as t sez “was a pillar” great man great surfer and shaper.
We indeed owe him…

About an hour ago I was just speaking to my buddies about how he was an icon when I started surfing @ 13, I’m 66 now.
And I feel OLD reading the obituaries.

The sad facts we will continue to lose our mentors.

God speed George, 87, yeww

i’m pretty sure he tried to run me over at Queens in July 1992 because I paddled for a wave we was paddling for earlier in the session :slight_smile: Good man, nonetheless.

I was first introduced to George Downing, by two friends, (Ed Shafer and Buzzy Trent) in the early '60’s. Throughout the '60’s, '70’s and beyond, if the North Shore was breaking, he was there in the thick of it. He was the consummate big wave surfer. And he was a gentleman. He was approachable, and easy to have a conversation with. It’s hard to imagine a ‘‘world of surfing’’ without him in it.