Another Griffin 5 fin mod fish review

I surfed my new 5 fin mod fish in 2-4 ft wind swell at Linda Mar beach in Nor Cal. Surf was weak and sloppy with an occasional shoulder. Dims are 6’3" x 21" x 2 7/8", standard glass and sand only. Feels heavy when carrying but competition light in the water. Excellent finish as expected from Greg. My stats, 6’1" x 195 lbs, 200 with wetsuit and booties, athletic build and will sink to the bottom, lastly 43 y/o and surfed since 15 y/o. The board is easy to paddle, feels like a 5’10" when riding the board. No problem catching waves, very fast after initial quick pump and foot placed right above the crack of the swallow tail front and backside, recommend not using a tail pad. Fins were installed right on the marks Greg place on the board.

The board is very fast, turbo charged, makes sections without bogging down Super responsive, hitting the lip, snaps and round house cutbacks were intuitive. This board is my new daily driver. This board model will make you a better surfer. Definitely the board to get before stepping up to Greg’s mod twin, my next board.

Call Greg and order your next board. Excellent customer service and he will Always get back to you via email or call back. I don’t think he sleeps. Great guy to talk to about design and mountain biking.

The other board is shaped by Tim Bessell, 6’6" x 20 1/2" x 2 3/4" epoxy quad. Too light for Nor Cal’s windy and sloppy conditions, great for So Cal’s better, cleaner surf.

Both boards a excellent for certain conditions but the Griffin is more versatile.

Griffin 5 fin mod fish is like a Porsche, can be driven everyday and always a fun ride.

Bessell quad is like a Lotus, light and fun but only used under ideal conditions.

Hope this is helpful.

Order your Griffin today!

Bessell and Griff sidexside.JPG Griff bottom.JPG Griff fins.JPG

I want to write a quick thanks to everyone on the threads around here and especially to Greg for all the good info.  The discussions caught my attention, next thing I knew I was wandering into the Griffin shop, and a few long weeks after that I found myself the stoked owner of a modfish! (EPS 6’1" x 20 5/8 x 2 1/2, 5-fin and I’m 6’ 180lb)

So much of what everyone said here was right on the mark.  First and foremost, the modfish erased everything I thought I knew about surfboard components, especially bottom and rails (I wish I had a camera to catch Greg wince when I asked him what kind of concave he’d put on the board and whether he thought I could use my current quad fins on it).  Thank goodness he follows the beat of his own drum or we’d be missing something special.  While waiting for sets I keep surprising myself every time my hand hits the edge under the rail up near the nose, and although the 5-fins look like a whole lotta fin in the back, they don’t feel heavy or dragging while paddling and I’m hooked on the feel as I pump through high lines and press out of bottom turns.  This thing drives and projects!

I’m just intermediate in ability so take my feedback for what it’s worth, but It really does get up to speed fast and glides (maybe planes is a better word) high in the water once I’m on my feet.  Overall it feels faster than my 6’6" bonzer (the two feel totally different under foot). 

I’ve ridden the modfish in everything from waist to overhead waves, windy to calm conditions, and north and south swells here on Oahu over the last month or so, and every session it surprises me and makes me smile.  I’m afraid to put such a new gem in a travel bag, but am heading to El Salvador next week and can’t go without it.  It really is a quiver-killer.  My other boards hate the modfish.

Thanks again Greg! 

Do you have the dimensions for a 12" from the nose and tail and maybe some fin placement measurements? I would like to try to shape something similar. What kind of bottom contours does it have? These things seem to get some screaming reviews.

Do you have the dimensions for a 12" from the nose and tail and maybe some fin placement measurements? I would like to try to shape something similar. What kind of bottom contours does it have? These things seem to get some screaming reviews.

I took my Griffin 5fin fish out after a long period (several years) of not riding it and I was once again blown away at how well the board rides. Mine is a 6-0 fish with the fuller nose. The only problem I have is catching waves because I surf at crowded spots where most guys are riding longboards. Once I’m on a wave the board is a dream come true. Guys were telling me how well the board was going even in some smaller mushy waves. If I didn’t have to deal with crowds or if I surfed everyday and was in excellent shape, it would be my main board. As it is, I tend to use longer boards with more paddling, but the Griffin is an amazing board. 

I also like the fuller nose fish more than the pulled in modfish. I have a 6-5 modfish and I also have a 6-8 thruster which I haven’t ridden yet. My brother has an assortment of Griffins including a 9-0 longboard, and a 7-4 rocket. They all paddle really well, but the small fish is unique, it takes your surfing to a higher level.