Another resin swirl question for the masters...

I am planing on doing a resin swirl and i am planing on doing primarily teal with black and white swirled in. So let me just make sure i have it down. Mix up the three colors and then in smaller cups do either teal/black or teal/white give it one tiny swirl then put it on the board in whatever random way I want. Do that a couple times and then just sorta flick the colors onto dry spots until it looks awesome and then fill in the remaining dry patches(not much) with teal. And then when a squeegy it the color first to the foam will be seen so all of the colors will show through and then squeegy towards the rails like normal and let it fall onto the laps and saturate them along with the resin that will inevitably pour over the sides. And then keeping my squeegy or im assuming mutiple squeegies as clean as possible and simply wrap the rail lap. I know this uses alot of resin but about how much on a 5'7 or 5'8 fishy type craft for one side (the bottom) probably in 6oz cloth(single layer). Also i do these colors sound like they will come out alright? i know alot of people have so much more experience than i on here so i really apreciate it. Also i am going to get my pigments ffrom here http://www.uscomposites.com/pigments.html . Do those look alright? i just couldnt find a cool teal color on foamez or at a hardware store near my house.

Thanks dudes

I think i had that procedure a little wrong. I just watched an Austin video on youtube. here is the vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6BeFL815Q8. So does he use all secondary colors until step four when he fills in the remaining dry glass with the main color? If that is the case i would need more than three colors i think so i believe i would use four or maybe even five. It is really hard to tell how many he is using here. So im thinking black, white, "captains blue" tint (because i already have it), and then have teal as the main color. So fill up mutiple cups with the secondary colors (black white captians blue) and randomly pour them together all over the board and then fling some of the colors around to get some cool thin random streaks ect. And then go back and cover up all the dry spots with teal and then pull it to the rails. IS that correct? I think Austin is on here so if so i would love your help (your vid already does a ton).

thanks

what i do is take my main color and mix it in my main bucket, take my other  secondary colors mix them each in seperate buckets, than add mekp, mix all the colors into main bucket do a figure 8 with my sitr stick, and jiggle my hand while i pour. if this is your first board dont worry so much about the swirl and worry more about completely saturating and getting ur rails tucked. good luck. show pics

I’m no expert so it helps me to have plenty of sgueegees.  I have 2-3 of the white talcos for the main spread. And then depending on how big the board is several clean yellows ready to go for the rails.  I know the experts probably do it all with one but I have found that a few cleen yellows at the end make it much easier to get the rails tight and excess resin cleaned up.  At least your going for it, good job.

Depends what you’re aiming at. For swirls like this:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

…mix up a big bucket of blue and two small cups (one of white, one of black). In your case, that would be one big bucket of teal, one small cup of white, one small cup of black. Add catalyst to the big bucket, then to each small cups. Pour each small cup into the main bucket with circular and/or random moves. Stir randomly, too (a kind of zig-zag stir works good) and lightly (no more than two or three stirs or you will mix the colors into some horrible mud). Pour the main bucket onto the glass, trying to cover the whole surface (you won’t succeed, but try). LET RESIN SATURATE THE CLOTH BY ITSELF FOR ABOUT TWO MINUTES. (I know, it’s long…) Then work fast with your squeegee!

For more definite patterns such as this one:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

…pour each small cup of colors randomly on the glass, then pour your main color, wait, then work fast.

Everything I know, I owe it to Austin, too.

Have fun!

you’re on the right path…and I appreciate your research. Do multi color applications in multiple pours, empty space is ok if your using enough resin because a slow deliberate pull with a clean squegee will yeild beatiful results as the colors meld in the pull. Whatever color you put on first will appear in the “foreground”. Except some opaques will overpower tints even if poured second. Clean the squeege between each pull on a towel or something disposable. I like to do my abstract pours, then pull from the center towards the rail. Even if the lamination is dry, don’t stress. Just concentrate on the color and getting everything wetout, you can do a cheater to fill in over the lam coat once color is off.

In you case I would do mostly teal, then pour a lesser amount of black, do one half stir with a stick add a touch of white and pour. Repeat til all resin in used, then pull resin(minimally and with a clean squeegee) to wet all cloth out.

p.s. as said earlier, catalyze all colors seperatly, then add together.

good luck, and keep the “resin tints and patterns” thread going!

you’re on the right path…and I appreciate your research. Do multi color applications in multiple pours, empty space is ok if your using enough resin because a slow deliberate pull with a clean squegee will yeild beatiful results as the colors meld in the pull. Whatever color you put on first will appear in the “foreground”. Except some opaques will overpower tints even if poured second. Clean the squeege between each pull on a towel or something disposable. I like to do my abstract pours, then pull from the center towards the rail. Even if the lamination is dry, don’t stress. Just concentrate on the color and getting everything wetout, you can do a cheater to fill in over the lam coat once color is off.

In you case I would do mostly teal, then pour a lesser amount of black, do one half stir with a stick add a touch of white and pour. Repeat til all resin in used, then pull resin(minimally and with a clean squeegee) to wet all cloth out.

p.s. as said earlier, catalyze all colors seperatly, then add together.

good luck, and keep the “resin tints and patterns” thread going!

beware mud.

over mix is the 

downfall of this

process. note:

that every advisor

has mentioned

the llimited mixing.

to mix is to mud the colors

…ambrose…

dont expect a result

enjoy watching the

materials morph.

the specific weight

of the pigments suspended

in the resin make the deal go down.

Thanks you guys for the help. Balsa on that first one would it matter if my main color was a pigment or in that case all pigments or must they be tints? i was just wondering because i feel like if i added opaque black and opaque white to a big batch of teal and gave it two up and down and around stirs it might not come out.  And this is my fourth board i have glassed so i know about the time crunch to get it done. I gues im just going to kick it extremely slow so i can finish easily. And how much resin would be needed totall? If i knew that i could just split it up. I guess on a 5'7 board i could get pretty darn close to covering the whole thing without too much resin and then i could pull the rest and get some of those results that pico was talking about

thanks

well im guessing if the white black and teal are all pigments it would work just fine. I think im just going to go with the three colors all in one bucket aproach cause it seems like less work in the tiny ammount of time. mix them up( a tiny bit) pour the bucket on randomly then wait two mins then pull and wrap. And keep a fresh squeegy and some towels around. How hard can it be? haha yeah right

as ambros said

dont expect anything

I suggest

mix extra base color (teal) and keep 1/2 qt off to the side with no cat

so if you run low you can qwickly cat it and finis the rails

the more you sqeegee the more mud

ask renroir how to paint a fleur

then ask monet how to paint a lilly

then surat then gaugin

then picasso then turner

how to paint a fire

then go paint

…ambrose…

I paint the foam then glass clearAmbroseFlowerB.jpgAmbroseFlower.jpgAmbroseRailWG.jpgwhite pigment over resincollor on foam and overlap…AmbroseRailPB.jpg

not a swirl…

…ambrose…