Another two-part "not a Bisect (tm)" travel compsand

Thanks, Pierre!  As I've said each time I've made one of these, I owe the inspiration for trying this the first time to you!

My cutting jig is super simple right now.  It's just a couple of lengths of aluminum angle stock with long bolts at either end.  I sandwich that over the board and tighten the bolts on the end to keep it in place, and use it as a straightedge to guide my skilsaw.  My next setup will be more like a radial arm saw, except longer tracks and only at 90 degrees.

Welcome back, and as usual superior work!

The tube caps are good to know, but

I was actually asking about the black material that caps where you cut the board. Is that just fiberglass and resin?

[quote="$1"]

The tube caps are good to know, but

I was actually asking about the black material that caps where you cut the board. Is that just fiberglass and resin?

[/quote]

Very cool board bisect Shwuz, really got me thinking about destroying a board now!

Mike, in answer to your question, it's about a third of the way down in his first post:

[quote]

I roughed up some sheets of 1/8 ABS plastic with 40grit, smeared them and the cut ends of the board with epoxy thickened with milled fibers, then placed the board halves face down on the plastic sheets (sitting on a sheet of glass to keep them flat) and pressed down to squeeze out all the excess.

The edges of the plastic sheets were trimmed with a laminate edge trimming bit.  The hole for the CF tube was cut out using the same bit, inserted into a hole drilled for access. [/quote]

Thanks surfthis!

Missed an earlier question, the bolt/nut is just zinc coated steel, so they’ll rust eventually. But I thought that was a ok trade off for being easily sourced and off the shelf for replacement.

Thanks surfthis!

Missed an earlier question, the bolt/nut is just zinc coated steel, so they’ll rust eventually. But I thought that was a ok trade off for being easily sourced and off the shelf for replacement.

awsome as usual Shwuz!!! … one thing i’m a little fuzzy on is how you did this part:

did you just line up the carbon fiber hole saw and spin it by hand?

what kept it from going crooked?

how did you remove the foam in the center of the tube?

do you think one of these_ would work with a forstner bit for drilling the hole instead?

did you just line up the carbon fiber hole saw and spin it by hand?

Exactly. :slight_smile: I pressed a little ring of tube material between the halves to mark the spot first.

what kept it from going crooked?

A good eye. Luck. Mostly luck. Once I got the two holes drilled, I test fitted the halves together and opened up the hole where needed in order to make it align right. Yet another reason for using the foaming gorilla glue, fill up those empty spaces. .

how did you remove the foam in the center of the tube?

Just popped it out with broom handle stuck in the other end.

do you think one of these_ would work with a forstner bit for drilling the hole instead?

I was initially going to adapt one of those exact things, but there is so much going on with the jig I’m going to make, I decided to build something from scratch. It needs a longer stroke than that portable drill press can provide, plus it needs a way to precisely align the holes in the two halves while keeping the hole square to the face.

Very well done and clever engineering Shwuz, this will catch on I think. Glad to see the panel connectors worked out well. Nice KISS system. Is there any need for alignment or shear tabs on the abs to align the halves? GREAT JOB!

Yeah, you can just see in the photo with the board slightly split open laying on the grass, there’s a 1/2" CF rod near the rails to keep everything aligned. 

Holy crap...   So I've been looking a bit more closely at the Imagine Eco Splitboard system, and it's just as KISS as you can get.  Like seriously.   I'm going to try it.  And since they're not in production with them right now, it might be time to get to work with Spindrift to make some customs. 

Testbed to come.  :)