anti theft surfboard lock

I’ve read through the archives all the threads on this topic, just wanted to see where we’re at now.  Curious to know what anybody uses to keep a board secure at the beach.  Basically, want to start taking two boards, with one locked while I surf, and the option to have more choices.  Its a good 90 minute drive to the beach for me at best, so I usually don’t know exactly what the conditions will be.

I can fit two boards in my wife’s car, but some days she needs the car and doesn’t want to drive my truck.  I like the gas mileage better on her car too, but on days when I need to take the truck I want to lock a board up top.  I got these TracRac racks, I had them from a previous vehicle, and just found some mounting clips on Amazon to convert them for use on my current truck.  So I’m thinking of coming up with something, maybe make something simple myself, to lock a surfboard.  Seems like the rack system should lend itself to something…

It doesn’t have to be bulletproof, just something to make it a hassle to steal a board without being obvious, as most beaches I frequent are pretty active with a parking lot scene. But I do want something a little more secure than a cable lock.  Although I could probably devise something pretty simple using a cable lock and the tiedowns on the TracRac cross bar.

The pic below looks kinda interesting, but way too pricey.

Any input appreciated.

I have two methods - sometimes used simultaneously:

1. One of those eyebolt fin screws that allow a padlock shackle to fit through the eye.  Wrap a bicycle cable lock around both board and crossbar, then lock with shackle through your fin screw.
  2. A couple of bicycle cable locks or one long cable with a loop at each end.  Wrap around front and rear crossbars of rack and bring end loops together.  Wrap any slack around crossbars until padlocking the loops together provides a fairly tight cable around board at each crossbar.  The widepoint of board will not pass through either cable if you've taken up enough cable slack. 

If you have one of the eyebolt fin screws as shown below ( I believe they were called ‘Wonder bolts’ back in the day - not the tool-less versions of today) method 1 and 2 can be combined.

get a pit bull for the bed of truck and a few NRA stickers

I just keep mine locked up in a volvo station wagon. It holds 9’6" board no problem.

As far as locking onto a rack, have you thought about drilling holes for a lock into a ratchet strap? It would just have to prevent the ratchet from opening all the way and releasing the strap tension. It’s a deterrent at best, but could make a thief look for an easier target. A determined thief could cut the strap, but a determined thief could also steal the truck. 

It sucks that there is so much crime and petty theft.

The dog that likes to stay with your vehicle is best.

I had a dog for 18 yrs who preferred to stay in my truck while I surfed. I’d park at beaches that had a reputation for theft, never a problem. Other cars would get their windows smashed.

Just thought I’d check this thread because I cant commit to adopting a dog any more.

My personal strategy is to shape a board that works for everything and swap fins around for varying conditions…

But if someone came out with some type of robot that shoots pepper spray, I’d get one.

I have a set of the Yakima supdawgs.  Board straps have steel inside and lock in place.  Super neat rack to start with and the locking feature works great.

bought these strap locks from Hawaiian Southshore years back to have a little peace of mind while surfing or shopping with a board/boards that could not fit in my VW Jetta Diesel Sportswagon.

9’ with a box is about the limit.

They are pretty heavy duty kind like those heavy duty bike locks.

Good for “family” trips when the car is packed with people and boards have to be on the  roof

What I learned from online banking security you just need to make things harder with your stuff than the next guy’s opportunity.

of course there are smash and grab a-holes out there

<iframe width=“560” height=“315” src=“https://www.youtube.com/embed/rEwoNk3ZcV4” frameborder=“0” allow=“accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture” allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width=“560” height=“315” src=“https://www.youtube.com/embed/BtTMtE2UM_k” frameborder=“0” allow=“accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture” allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width=“560” height=“315” src=“https://www.youtube.com/embed/TX0eJLjwcsI” frameborder=“0” allow=“accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture” allowfullscreen></iframe>

I hve been using Kanu Locks for many years.

The first set I had did eventually develop problems with the stainless steel cables fraying, then poking through the woven plastic cover and causing painful bleeding stab wounds. But they fixed that a decade ago, and my 2 sets have been used for a lot more than surfboard locking.

https://www.kanulock.com/pages/kanulock-lockable-tie-downs

I spent a few hours in the hardware section of the big box store, checking out all my options and trying to think of something simple. This is what I came up with.

The most expensive thing was the locks. 4 angle braces, sheet metal screws, 2 pieces of 3/4" square aluminum tubing, some pipe insulating foam, and a pack of 4 matching padlocks.

The angle braces come with screw holes. I had to drill the bottom hole a little bigger for the padlock to fit through it. Pre drilled & screwed them to the aluminum tubing.

The key is that the front & back brackets are narrower than the middle, so they cant slide the board forward or backward.

Boards with a singlefin box could use that two piece metal unit where one piece has something which slides into the track in the box and the other piece is flat and locks it in place.  I think when this subject last came up somebody posted pictures to this device.

It is very simple, and could be made very easily with bar stock aluminum, a hacksaw a drill countersink  and a tap and tapered heat machine screws of the correct length. 

I used to use the plastic covered steel cabling over boards kept on my roofracks, but the length must be fairly precise, and of course no locking system can’t be beat with the time tools and will to do so.

Two times I’ve left a board locked up on top for a few hours while I surfed, both times it was still there when I got out. I’m calling it a success for my needs - parked in a public lot with lots of foot traffic & social scene. It’s just a deterrent, but that’s all I need.

another vote for Kanu locking straps, easy to use…have kept my boards safe for years while travelling up and down the west coast…as it is, these systems only deter the quick hit dirtbags, determined thieves using 18V side grinders with diamond grit cutting wheels will make quick work of any of them…fortunately, the vast majority of  boards thefts are from the dirtbags…may their crack/meth be contanimated with rat poison

Best system I have is to have the rooftop box /pod on the roofracks and dropping surf gear and boards in that. It’s what I do when travelling. 

But board limit is 6’6" in my box, so it won’t work for many.