anybody know about R. Pavel?

the name thing is kinda odd!

He doesn’t go by 2 names, his name is Rich Pavel, but his friends call him by his nickname “Toby”. He is a master shaper in the san diego area with decades of experience. He shapes all types of boards, but may be more known for his(choice) 3 stringer, brewer (styled) pintails (he was a student of Dicks), and also for his Authentic replica “Lis” style fish boards. He shapes for many of the sunset cliffs boys, and for many pros as well. He spends time in australia with nat young and they have worked together for years. He now shapes at precision fiberglassing (channin) Shaping under the rainbow surfboard label. Some of guys he’s shaped for that I know of are- Davey miller,the malloys, and david eggers, but I’m sure the list is extensive.

He doesn’t go by 2 names, his name is Rich Pavel, but his friends call him by his nickname “Toby”. He is a master shaper in the san diego area with decades of experience. He shapes all types of boards, but may be more known for his(choice) 3 stringer, brewer (styled) pintails (he was a student of Dicks), and also for his Authentic replica “Lis” style fish boards. He shapes for many of the sunset cliffs boys, and for many pros as well. He spends time in australia with nat young and they have worked together for years. He now shapes at precision fiberglassing (channin) Shaping under the rainbow surfboard label. Some of guys he’s shaped for that I know of are- Davey miller,the malloys, and david eggers, but I’m sure the list is extensive.

His name is Rich Pavel, but earned the nickname ‘Toby’ because he was in Summer Camp , and the Staff thought he was a kid named ‘Toby’. Being a young kid , he never spoke up. I’ve had a couple of boards from him, on the recommendation of others that I wasnt too pleased with. By his personality, it would seem that he has done too many recreational drugs. He is very Airy and will discourse at length while he’s shaping, congrats to anyone that can understand what he’s talking about. Its correct he has had training with Brewer , which is something you have to purchase. If he was making Brewer boards then that again would say something, as Brewer would have to have some confidence in him. He was a Steve Lis protege, hence the ‘Fish Experienced’ moniker.

His name is Rich Pavel, but earned the nickname ‘Toby’ because he was in Summer Camp , and the Staff thought he was a kid named ‘Toby’. Being a young kid , he never spoke up. I’ve had a couple of boards from him, on the recommendation of others that I wasnt too pleased with. By his personality, it would seem that he has done too many recreational drugs. He is very Airy and will discourse at length while he’s shaping, congrats to anyone that can understand what he’s talking about. Its correct he has had training with Brewer , which is something you have to purchase. If he was making Brewer boards then that again would say something, as Brewer would have to have some confidence in him. He was a Steve Lis protege, hence the ‘Fish Experienced’ moniker.

student of Dicks? that would suck! hahahahahah!

student of Dicks? that would suck! hahahahahah!

Rich/Toby is a skilled craftsman with a wealth of knowledge and alternative views on alot of surf board designs. He’s a generous, giving person. Made me a magic Lis style fish this spring.

Eh slingblade…ha ha…what are you about 12? Toby says thanks! You can go back to your coloring books now!

No question. I tracked him down in the mid-90s with some help from Steve Yamamoto (I think that was his last name?) on alt.surfing, and got a couple of outrageous kneeboards. Rode 'em all over Western Africa and some Atlantic islands. I really admire Rich’s skills.