Anyone had experience with mold making for small fins, MVG etc???

Oneula, had it good,…the (smooth-on mold method works great) I’ve not used it for fins however, in other applications for similar results it was

the ticket. Since you have two foiled sides the two part mold would have to be utilized to capture both foiled sides. Because the size of the 

(finlets) are so small the plastic that comes with the Smooth-on kit would be rigid enough for you purpose I’d believe.

Aloha, Randy

Yep, that might work too brett. Plenty of options i suppose. Im off the next few days so i sure bloody hope i get to try it!

it’s so easy to make fins with a mould. the only inconvenient is that to make the mold u need a fin (model)

i made the mould from silicone and corn starch and the result is pretty good. i think to make the fin model from plaster because it’s easy to shape, then paint it. as an unmould agent i use olive oil hahahaha here in spain we have planty of

fins made with the mould

fin made with the mould

good stuff …here…beerfan!

i wish you could come here and i could show you …in person…there’s just so much little stuff to teach to a novice molder.

keep poking at it and you’ll be better at it than me.

herb

Original MVG’s are poured with RR epoxy, and they stick on the bottom - no box tab.

you could make a plastacine clay model, then use the thin silicon to make sure you get a smooth clean start, then cover that with silicon calking.  Once the silicone is set up you can pull the clay out then maybe a little spray release and pour some glue in…

The extension tab seems like a cool idea.

I don’t think you should changes fins at first - use the same fin in the same place so you’ll notice the difference the MVG’s make.  Close to John’s notion - they set up small vortices off their tips which cause the water flow to “stick” to the fin better, reducing incidence of stalling, due to flow seperation, at  higher angles of attack.

What does MVG stand for? Are these the same as Herb’s superchargers? My brother had a bunch of the superchargers, but I never tried them.

Isn’t this the same reason Bill Thrailkill is developing his new HOAX fin, to avoid the stalling?

Mini Vortex Generator

Bill you didn’t answer the 2nd question?

MVG’s are Mark Spindler’s design for use in front of single fins

Herb’s were the original C5 design that he once said Rdot five fingered from him. But then again George Ku once told me he invented the C5 design and that Rdot took that from one of his early boards.

They probably all (maybe not Herb) took the idea from Wil Jobsen’s twinzer design

I’ve tried both, Herb’s are a little more difficult to install but they both do what they are intended to do

What ever problem exists with the main fin still exists though

Nice pics Bernie - The M in MVG stands for ‘multi,’ as in there are two finlets, and each one generates a vortex.  I used them in front of the center fin of tri’s with great success.

I’m keen to try the MVG with the dolphin fin. I tried the greenough fin in my mal the last few days, and wow, what an awesome fin!. Enough drive, but much more manouverability!. I will try the dolphin plus MVG next. Still love to try them in front of my supercharged keels on my fish. Supercharges and mvgs, good combo?!

herb did something similar years ago

in the archives somewhere

yes, that’s true, I didn’t answer it did I?   (drumroll)    The answer to the second question is yes.

Thank you Bill.

Now I’m left with more questions than answers.

Picked up some T shaped Aluminium to make some mvg’s,I’ll try to make some triple ‘spike’ versions to go with a finbox.

5 mins with a hacksaw…

Now to smooth the edges, add a bit of foil and do some testing.

Nice work mate!. Trying to foil even thin fibreglass panels is bloody hard!

Hi Beery, I’ll do the edges, dip it in resin to add a bit of meat for foiling and then I’ll post it to you.

PM your address and it will be in the post next week.

Have fun, Brett.