Anyone know anything about this Surfboards Australia Pin Machine?

I already put two calls in to him last week and he still hasn’t returned my calls.

I have a somewhat related restoration question…has anyone here ever removed the resin and fin that were cast into a W.A.V.E. set box? How?

Quote:

I have a somewhat related restoration question…has anyone here ever removed the resin and fin that were cast into a W.A.V.E. set box? How?

Never had the pleasure…<j/k>

I’d guess the best way would be with a drill and a steady hand. Make a series of holes in the resin, and try to pry it out. Heat might help? In any case, the odds of getting all the foreign matter out of the screw holes would be pretty low. So, even if you found a replacement WS fin, it may not be useable.

Yes, I did it on this one:

I used a wood chisel and a wooden hammer and went at it between the back of the fin base and the fin-box. It took quite a long time and I actually broke the base at the back (re-glued it later) but eventually I got it!!!

Skip’s shaping room was over in the PB Surf Shop (owned by G&S) during this time. He was mostly doing customs based on his models.

I lived right up the street by the beach in a little cottage in the “Blue Sea Motel”. $100 per month. Included utilities and cable TV.

Skip would knock on the window to wake me up if there was any surf.

you know you guys who were there “yesterday” should get together and write a book!! That would be so cool, there must be so many fun and funny stories in and about the surf scene of yesteryear… Heck theres a few from nowadays that wring a giggle out of me…

Hi Paul,

My name is Rachel. I am Kevin Platts daughter and am keen to get in touch with you and Huie - just to piece together a bit of a story about my dad. Would love your guys input. 

I have recently started a facebook page in his memory and as a place to start collecting bits and pieces together. 

Hope to hear from you soon - or anyone who may be able to help with any memories or info on Kevin. 

Thanks!

Rachel

https://www.facebook.com/KPlattOriginal

Hi Paul,

My name is Rachel. I am Kevin Platts daughter and am keen to get in touch with you and Huie - just to piece together a bit of a story about my dad. Would love your guys input. 

I have recently started a facebook page in his memory and as a place to start collecting bits and pieces together. 

Hope to hear from you soon - or anyone who may be able to help with any memories or info on Kevin. 

Thanks!

Rachel

https://www.facebook.com/KPlattOriginal

I wonder how often that happened and if it’s a flaw revisited by the new FCS II system ?

Well, in the 5’8" Weber Pig that I owned from 1970 to 1974, it happened often. But, the fin system wasn’t the only thing wrong with that board :wink:

So my dad bought his pin machine in 1969 for $115 (he still had the receipt) and I still ride is all summer. Here is what it looks like