Anyone know anything about this Surfboards Australia Pin Machine?

http://artisansurfdesigns.blogspot.com/…elic-surfboards.html

I know this thing must be a rare.

Is it a transitional?

It is #9098.

I couldn’t find a signature anywhere. I was told that Wayne Lynch shaped under that label at one time. Is this true?

I would like to know.

I just wish it was in better shape.

I rode it once a long time ago, but I didn’t like the way the fin hummed.

Check this thread, http://www.swaylocks.com/forum/gforum.cgi?post=394413;search_string=surfboards%20australia;#394413

That was a good discussion of the history of SA.

Quote:

I know this thing must be a rare relic. (1)

Is it a transition piece between the era of longboarding and the first foam and fiberglass boards? (2)

I couldn’t find a signature anywhere, but maybe it’s a Wayne Lynch? (3)

I rode it once a long time ago, but I didn’t like the way the fin hummed. (4)

1. “Rare”? Probably. “Relic”? Not really. Just another production model from SA. Built at the G and S factory in San Diego.

2. It would certainly be considered a ‘transition’ board. Probably 1969 or ‘70. I don’t know why you mention the first foam and glass boards? The transition was from long (9’ +) to short. It was not based on materials. Hobie and Sweet were doing foam boards in 1957. By 1960, wood boards were a rarity.

3. Wayne Lynch had no connection to that label. During that period (69-70) he was affiliated with John Arnold. Besides, a signature was the exception, not the norm at the time.

4. The fin is kind of unique. But, it’s a lot newer than the board, I’d say. Looks like someone lost the WAVESET fin and glued some weird '80s contraption in the box. It no doubt hums due to the half-assed way it was unstalled. Not withstanding the weird design.

Every thing SammyA says is true.

I would add:

The serial # means nothing.

The board was made in late '68 or more likely '69 -'70.

Shapers weren’t allowed to sign them since some of the same guys were shaping G&S and S. A.'s depending on what card came up next.

The “Super Light Glass” sticker meant there was no guarantee against delams or anything else.

As Mike says, see the other thread for everything I know about the S.A.'s and the relationship to G&S.

I’m sorry. I still cannot get over the idea that someone who actually builds boards thinks the ‘transition’ period was when folks switched “from longboards, to foam and glass”.

I was looking at the fin box, bro… and I had another transitional with the same box… Also a Harbour transitional with the same box. It looked like the other transitionals that I’ve seen including a Wilken I used to surf with the same box.

What does me building boards have to do with not being a scholar in transitional board history? I’m 34 bro… I wasn’t there or even around then, so how am I supposed to know??? That’s why I posted the thread in the first place. You must have just gotten off the SurferMag forum…

Excuse me for asking.

Quote:
  1. It would certainly be considered a ‘transition’ board. Probably 1969 or ‘70. I don’t know why you mention the first foam and glass boards? The transition was from long (9’ +) to short. It was not based on materials. Hobie and Sweet were doing foam boards in 1957. By 1960, wood boards were a rarity.

That’s what I meant… I stand corrected.

Those boxes, W.A.V.E. Set by Karl Pope, first came out in '68. By 1970 they were obsolete.

How about those green colored boxes with the arrowhead type route in the channel… I had two with that box as well.

Dave

What you describe looks like the old “Guidance Fin System” that was used briefly in the early 70s.

That Guidance System was commissioned by several of the major surfboard manufacturers in response to the fact that the W.A.V.E. set boxes were failing and the fact that some of the mfgs didn’t like buying a major component from a competitor.

In fairness to Karl Pope, he said the the boxes were failing because they weren’t being properly installed. I believe he was correct. The slider fins did fail however due to a design flaw in the base of the fin.

The Guidance System was also short lived. When Bill Bahne came out with the Fins Unlimited box which included a fiberglass fin as opposed to the plastic fins in the W.A.V.E. and Guidance System just about everyone switched.

That box is still in wide use today.

hey david, if you want to know about the transitional boards first built in australia, talk to huie. he was there and building them with kevin platt at noosa .kevin knew george greenough and was inspired by his surfing and designs. George taught kevin how to make his flex fin and huie still has the recipe. the story goes that a few of the old names burnt a longboard at some stage on lennox head i think, after a few had been built and copied. im pretty 100% percent sure it was KEVIN PLATT who should be given recognition for the first standup shortboards, although some will tell it differently, and aparently kevin didnt have the best life ever or much recognition for his designs which were copied. Ironically they were making them under 6ft in noosa at the time with widepoint 2 inches forward and greenough fin, but the outline was not unlike what kelly was riding at pipe. Kevin as onto it way back then. if they had of thought of using 2 to 1 stabilizers it may have changed the evolution dramatically.

there is some footage shot at noosa in 67, in the film “hot generation” that shows a kid apparently ripping on one of these boards(im yet to get hold a copy)

Lots of info there, too:

http://www.surfresearch.com.au/00000000.html

Nice!!

Thanks for the info!

P.S. - I’d like to try out that recipe for the flex fins.

I love that site…

Thanks again!

A major flaw with Guidance fins was the tendency to pop out of the box if hit from the back. Those channel caps were the only thing that kept them put, and were invariably lost. That’s why many of the boards that still exist with those boxes have some kind of bastardised solution. Usually, they just got resined into the box.

That’s what it looks like, only green. I had one in my Harbour (my first board) and in my Bing Glass Slipper. I found both boards, and neither had fins. I ended up glassing mine in… back before I knew how stupid that was, considering what the boards were.

Chris Morales at Scripps just e-mailed me and said That Larry Mabile shaped it, and that the Lion logo on the board is where he got the idea for his new Lion logo. Is this true?

Kawika,

wasn’t your buddy Skip Frye at G&S in those days? perhaps he has more info for you. If so please report back!

It’s hard to tell. We had six shaping bays at G&S as I remember. Maybe 7. The order cards would come out from the office and get pinned to a blank. Whoever was up next would grab a blank and start mowing. There were guys that mostly shaped G&S and some that mostly shaped SA’s. I think John Holly shaped a lot of the SA’s. I know he did the team boards.