Ashes in a lam.

My buddy Scott died the day before Easter. A few weeks before that I asked him to my house to ‘help’ me glass a board and gave me a partially shaped blank. Said he wasn’t going to finish it. Scott taught me how to glass a board 14 years ago. Scott was a husband, father, big wave charger, martial artist, among other things. He made the annual pilgrimage to the North Shore and to Puerto. I finished shaping the board and asked a young friend of ours, who Scott had taught carpentry, to come over to glass the board with me. Scott brought the’kid’ over 5 years ago to learn how to shape his own board. Sk8ment was interested in the lam. Here it is. Ashes in epoxy. White and black swirl.

The ‘kid’ has an excellent artistic eye. F…k! forgot to cut that lap. Got it done, no problem.

Came out pretty cool. We were trying to get it ready for his paddle out.

Glass on single fin, no leash cup or loop.

The template was from a Ben Aipa of Scotts. He loved Aipa’s. Kind of the same builds. The fin was Scott’s. So was the resin. He was Fred Flintstone strong. Big fuckin balls. Rest in Peace Scott. I miss you, brother. Mike

I have know idea why all the photos are sideways, etc. Thanks for checking it out. mike

Mike - turned out great.

Sorry for the loss.

• photos are probably sideways because they are too large. - site glitch flips them.

Onya Mike. Heavy stuff. Nice tribute. Don’t know if I would have thought of that. I made a board for my brother for his first visit to the North Shore to come and stay with me for a while. He never made it. Took the board to a spot known for rips and current and set it loose unridden. Always wondered what happened to it. Very good of you to remember your friend in such a way. God Bless.

Awesome, I like it

nice brother, here is my effort. not as cool as yours, i used way more ashes though.

daughter of a guy considerably my elder
I fostered in the neighboorhood surf in his 60’s
I subsequently took his close friends
his daughters son in law and others in
his ohana surfing, steuart if I recolect
passed away and daughter came to me
for surfboard embodiment.The remains
included bone fragments as well as ash.
I was not likely to use the total sum of
his life’s remains,I wraped in wax paper
a rough heart that I shaped and glossed
and made it into a pendant for a keepsake.
the board has been aboard a 53’ hendricson (?)
sailing the pacific …
aloha 'oe to all our friends
and aquaintances
may their spirits reside in the
afterlife may comfort and
inspiration be the continuing
role in our invested love
on their behalf
…ambrose…
bones in polyesther
polish up unreal
who needs ivory…

That’s bitchen Ambrose! The small chunks of bone sanded quite easily when we sanded the lam for the fill coat. Mike

An inspired tribute, to a friend.

Here are the pics in this thread re-sized to a reasonable resolution for posting.

Thanks Huck!