Aside from their entertainment value...................

Norm,

What’s even more killer is MAKING your own board that surfs the way you like for the surf you enjoy surfing. Lots of expert knowledge here to help you do that. Including info from Mr. Brom. Dang, that board is beautiful.Mike

Howzit Mike

To those who place a high value on the superb quality only possible from a master shaper and glasser nothing less will satisfy.

"What's even more killer is MAKING your own board that surfs the way you like for the surf you enjoy surfing"

Then just imagine how much fun Steve Brom has been having!

Norm,

Well said. Sharing my personal experience only. I’ve owned and ridden boards from master, garage guys, and everything in between. I get a huge kick from building and riding my own boards. My Lis fish, Brewer mini gun(gave it away), and Haut triple stringer continue to collect dust although they are still loved. Mike

“I’d love to see someone standup tearing up 10’ Haleiwa(alii) or 10’ Sunset on one, one of these days.”

Why wait to watch someone else? Why don’t YOU do it?

“Like you said a wave is a wave and you can ride anything in anything”

I think what Norm meant was there are specific boards that are made to work in specific waves. Has anyone made a Pipe board that worked equally well at Sunset?

Quote:

I think what Norm meant was there are specific boards that are made to work in specific waves. Has anyone made a Pipe board that worked equally well at Sunset?

I think Lopez rode his crazy pipeline ultra pintail lightening bolts at sunset pretty well…

If you go to chunsreef.net in the haleiwa section there’s some pics of a guy tearing it up on the inside with a fish, not as unreal as the pictures of Pancho on the outside but still some great full rail face carves. Super short and super wide board…

The stuff buttons, liddle and bertlemann were riding in the country in the late 70’s was way more radical that pretty brom fish. Skinny little fin push all the way up almost two thirds up the board, spinning out with the first wrongf weighted turn.

Yes anything anywhere but only for the guys in the water like 90% of the time practicing on the stuff. In the old days you learned to work your only one piece of crap board no matter where you had to surf cause you didn’t have a choice it’s all you had… And you still had fun

For sure, there’s some crossover between different spots, and Pipe and Sunset, maybe only a bit narrower, lighter, and thinner for Pipe, but it’d for sure work at Sunset.

I wish I could surf with 50 guys on Fish boards while I was surfing bigger days at Sunset or Pipe. I’d get any set wave I want, leaving the fish rider’s floundering on the inside.

Cheyne might sneak a few, but not many guys can ride a 6’ board in 12’ waves. It ain’t the surfing that’s lacking, it’s the paddle, the currents, the snaking, and the positioning…something someone who’s never surfed Pipe or Sunset can never understand.

Quote:

My apologies if you are in fact a REAL person …it just sounded too much like a bogus ‘Dower’, ‘WoodMaven’, or ‘Sirwanksalot’ [now , THERE’S a real screamer eh ?] username.

I don’t think WoodMaven is a bogus username. I have one of Rolly’s fins. One that he generously donated to the most recent Swaylock’s raffle. It’s a really boss fin. In my opinion Rolly (a cabinetmaker) deserves to call himself WoodMaven. He doesn’t deserve to be pissed on.

aaahhhh…

assumptions* are funny things !

I have two of Rolly’s fins too , poobah . And the utmost respect for the guy …if you looked into it a bit further , you would discover he and I are friends.

I guess that’s the trouble with bits and bytes , and this whole artificial world …people read stuff into posts ALL the time , and misunderstand and make wrong assumptions, and everything. Funny , really .

But , I WAS pissing on ‘sirwanksalot’ ! [with a name like that , shit …who WOULDN’T !!]

…Don’t worry , HE gives me more shit [as does daz!] than I could print in one thread .

These guys are almost aussie-like in their piss-taking ! [why we get on so well , I reckon ! … British humour , by the way , is much the same]

So, there you go , a bit of a cultural lesson , to boot ! […who says I never do anything for Swaylocks , eh ? hehe ]

Ben

p.s. - for background on the “nom de plume” comment of "WoodMaven’'s , there used to be a swaylocks french thread …en francais , wherein rolly made the “nom de plume” comment . It seems to have gone , now , with the new upgraded swaylocks .

• I always thought someone had a sense of humour , coming up with the way to spell assume …

" if you assume , it often makes an ass [of] u [or] me "

“” this guy posts hundreds of photos a day

a man after yer own heart…

and they are mostly of regular people

who can request prints of same.

yo gotta see this guy’s stuff.

he even has some pictures of bearded women from the circus,

you gotta find a compatable sysem…"

hey chipfiish, speaking of “entertainment value”, I’m just wondering WHO this photographer is , and where I can view the shots ? I particularly would like to see the circus one , in view of my interests . Thanks dude

Cecil