automotive varnish

Does anybody use automotive varnish for seal the sanded hot coat?

Reverb I have used a product called Chroma Clear made by Dupont and it is really fine.Bad thing is a gallon kit runs around 150 dollars.

yeah, i have used and use Dupont varnishes, but chroma…i don´t know about it…

Take care with Chroma. The stuff is toxic. You need the correct equipment and a high level of skill to spray it. But, as Cleanlines states, it produces a “fine” finish. Patrick

I used it mainly on finishing aircraft furniture.Applied with a hvlp turbine sprayer in a spray booth.Its (i think) a linear urethane.I had some left and sprayed a short board,it polished out unreal and had more scratch resistance than poly resin.It would work great on epoxy boards if you wanted to polish them.Chroma Clear is the cadillac of these products there are others that are more cost efficient.Ask the car paint guys in your area.My knowledge is limited.

I use UPOL Clearcoat #1, get at any authentic auto paint store (not Pepboys). It’s the stuff used in German auto clear coat applications. It’s a two part in one spray can process, stuff and hardner spray all at once, nice. Kicks off in about 20 min. And it buffs out killer. You can use it as a high build process and can use it over water based acrylics. about $11.00 per can, I gets about 4+ boards per can. It works! -Jay

I wonder how after apply “future” or eq. it don´t disappeared in a month or something like that…

Yes UPOL is a rattle can. Its got two inner bags inside the can, one with the coating, one with the catalyst. I think you can buy it in a 2 part quart application, but then if your going to do that why not just use gloss. -Jay

Sorry if this sounds stupid but why are wanting seal a sanded finish in the first place? I thought the reason for a sanded finish was to be a sanded finish? please explain

´cause water micro filtration. the sanded hot coat have got tinny pinholes…if you don´t seal (GLOSS, or some type of varnish) in a few months the board will be more heavy, more yellow, less response, etc…

so then what do most glass shops use to seal it with then…I think the people who glass my boards use a water bassed acrylic finish. will that wash off over a short period time and need to be resealed every time I clean the wax off or fix a ding?.. I have a couple of boards that are at least 5 years old with a sanded finish. I have never reaplied any kind of finish and they still look good.??

may be these boards are sanded gloss… when you fix a ding, you need to finish in the same way the board is. automotive varnishes (acrylic, polyester, poliurethanics) or some wood ones, don´t disappear… when you wax off with hot water or a soft plastic scraper, the varnish or the gloss still will be perfect…