Balsa Malibu chip - restored -any clues?

The restoration of this board is completed and its ready for surfing ! Can anyone shed some light on its history,it's been dated at 1947. Thanks

upload !

Howzit kayu, Nice score and good job of restoring it.Aloha,Kokua

Hi Kokua, I had this topic in Industry , so I think many would have missed it . It came from California in '47......it has an EPS core , californian redwood stringers and solid balsa rails......current thinking is Matt Kivlin.....if anyone can id this board it would be much appreciated,,thx

Hopefully you can get more views and info over here. This is such an incredible board.

Technical questions: What was the weight of the board as you received? Finished resto weight? Dimensions?

Late 40s board with a styrofoam core? Very rare, I’d say.

How far back can you trace the chain of ownership?

The current owner is the third ( I think). It was shipped to Melbourne , and the original owner used it ,then had it stored for many years unused , until it was sold in recent years before Carl bought it. Thx SammyA...

Aloha kayo

That is also around Joe Quigg’s era.  Might be worth checking with him.  Not saying it is one of his creations but he might recognize it.  Bring it to the Hawaiian Surf Auction in Honolulu this summer!

G'day Bill , thats a good tip , I'm sure Joe would have a good idea , considering the Kivlin / Quigg boards of around that time. I wont be at the auction (unless the ship comes in ) , but the owner will be there. However , I don't think he'd part with the board........I  restored one of Joe Quigg's 11ft hollows years ago , an education in itself !

Very nice!

Simmons made some styrafoam sandwich boards around the same time period.

Simmons foam sandwich

Plywood deck and bottom with balsa rails. The styrafoam was inside so I think they were glassed with poly boat resin. Not sure. Anyone know?

I can't believe this historic board isn't getting more attention. Maybe we need to start an argument or something? :-)

[quote="$1"]

I can't believe this historic board isn't getting more attention. Maybe we need to start an argument or something? :-)

[/quote]

Yo MAMA! So Big, dat when she sit around the house....she sit around the house!!!!

I meant an argument about the surfboard, you seal-slaying momma-joke-telling bonehead.

I wonder if the guy who made it could ever have imagined in 1947 that, 64 years later, a group of surfboard-obsessed people would fawn over it on this interwebby thing?

Might have to call in Marshall Dillon to break it up, if that happens!!

Kayu,

This is a longshot, but did you ever manage to track down the shaper of this board?

Also, is there any chance that I could hit you up for a template and some additional info on the rails? I’m going to be building a couple of boards for a museum project locally, and this was really lit me up way back when!

Thank you kindly,

Just a final bump for this one. Really intrigued by the construction and shape. I think I have a good way of going about building a similar board but would love any insights.

If anyone else is familiar with a similar board, feel free to chime in.

Thanks!