Bamboo

I was just watching the news this weekend and they were showing booths at the local earthday festivities at Balboa Park. They showed a surfboard made of bamboo. I almost went down there just to check it out. Has anyone here ever tried bamboo as their medium? GF

I was just watching the news this weekend and they were showing booths at > the local earthday festivities at Balboa Park. They showed a surfboard > made of bamboo. I almost went down there just to check it out. Has anyone > here ever tried bamboo as their medium? Here’s a link to check out. It looks like the idea is similar to the wood veneers you see on a Surftech. Bamboo is amazing stuff and very workable. If you’ve never seen a bamboo fly rod up close, you should check one out. I’m sure anyone on this board could appreciate what a guy can do with a culm of cane and a hand plane. 50 years ago they tried to grow Tonkin cane in the U.S. for fly rods and it didn’t work. The cane didn’t have the same characteristics as the Chinese grown stuff and even now all the cane comes from the same 150 square mile hunk of real estate in China. Sorry about the fly rod post on a surfboard site… http://www.bamboosurfboards.com.au/

I was just watching the news this weekend and they were showing booths at > the local earthday festivities at Balboa Park. They showed a surfboard > made of bamboo. I almost went down there just to check it out. Has anyone > here ever tried bamboo as their medium?>>> GF Gary Young , on the Big Island. He brought the technology to Australia , those guys ripped him off and set him packing back to the U.S.A. . Sunny Garcia road some of his boards. This all ended in a law suit that put an end to the public displays of discontent. Gary’s the man behind the innovation. Leave your e-mail address and I’ll get you in touch w/ him.