Barnfield Does Balsa Sandwich... Sort of

Bill here are the pics from my  22'2" Aquasport .All foam except the transom and gastank cradle.This is where I spend my time when I am not in the glassing room

PS- did most work in epoxy except deck is vinylester.All boxes covers and forward bulkhead are poly but tabbed w/epoxy.I will put more pics up tonight.I saw Buckey Fuller speak at Art School in 1970

Nicely done riomar!  You should post some more pictures.

Surf is huge here… So I am off to check it out, should be bigger on Monday.  They say… maybe bigger then 1969!

Bill here some more.One of the guys helping me layup the floor is Rascoe Hunt from Gale Force Glassing.Between us we have 58 years of glassing and this floor really tested us.I do not know how anyone with no experience  does this. The center console was bought new from Jones Brothers Marine, one of the best center console boats on east coast

Seeing these pics reminds me of my days in the boatbuilding industry.  For those of you with experience maybe you can relate to this-

My first day on the job.  I’m this high school kid from Palos Verdes.  My experience up to that point is having made about 30-40 surfboards.  It’s summer. Long Beach. Probably 90 degrees.  There’s this 40 foot sailboat sitting in the sun.  My job is to glass on a man overboard tube.  That entails crawling all the way back into the transom of the boat.  For those in the know this is a late 80’s IOR boat with a pinched transom.  Crawling past the last bulkhead with a a bucket of resin, glass and catalyst.  Trying to get comfortable (?!!) on top of the rudder quadrant.  The space is the size of a car trunk and…90 degrees is outside air temp.  The temp inside that closed little space in a fiberglass boat sitting in the sun?  Who knows? 100?  110?  The only air comes through the hole in the transom which I’m about to glass shut.  I have to work on my back, glassing the tube in place above me with resin dripping down my arm.  This is HELL.

That’s a man overboard tube, at the upper right.

I figure it’s a test.  I can handle it.  The next day I’m back in the hole grinding the laps and drips. Only after that can one understand why I was HAPPY to do long block sanding on a hull plug for a week (think chain gang).  And still I love boats.

Riomar, great photos and project.  Did you just refurbish an old hull?

Aloha llilibel03

Great story!!  When Dave Collignon and I built a light weight foam sandwich MORC racer in his back yard at Rocky Point, we didn’t have a name for it yet and were tossing a around some possibilities.  One of the guys helping had just got done doing some similar glassing in the vary peak of the bow below deck.  He came out with the suggestion that the boat should be named… “BRAIN DAMAGE” !!

In a similar vein… replacing the Bulkhead in my current project was also a gaseous nightmare.  Not only was cutting out the old one itchy as it comes.  But glassing in the new Divinycell Bulkhead in several stages, to fit it around the Cabin’s Molded Interior, required a few hours in the Haze!

[img_assist|nid=1047637|title=Bulkhead Template|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=480|height=640]

[img_assist|nid=1047636|title=Bulkhead Template|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=640|height=480]

[img_assist|nid=1047638|title=Bulkhead Lamination|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=480|height=640]

I  got the Topsides painted just in time to avoid a major downpour.  Luckily the paint dried enough before the Kona storm hit!

[img_assist|nid=1047639|title=Topsides Port Bow View|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=640|height=480]

[img_assist|nid=1047640|title=Topsides Port Side View|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=640|height=480]

Hey Bill,

I love the green!

Jeff, your story brought back a memory...I can relate to your prefering the sanding...

The pics are of a life-sized model of a Killer Whale I built for a "Free Willy" movie promotion...

Thats me positioning Willy's fin. I made a chicken-wire and plaster form, shaped it, glassed over it with several layers of chop-strand, popped it off the form,  built a floor and transom, glassed those in, sanded the lot...

It had an electric outboard motor and a pressurised canister that shot water out of the spout.

The idea was for Willy to appear on Sydney's Darling Harbour outside an IMAX cinema just in time for the movie premiere, and I had the job as driver. So I was inside through the tiny trapdoor, looking through the too-small peep-holes I made myself, and communicating with a safety boat via an ill-fitting intercom headpiece.

The resin was still to fully cure, and the confined space was totally stunk out with fumes...I was near to hallucinating, and rammed Willy many times! In the end I needed to be pulled out.

Josh

www.joshdowlingshape.com

Bill i run light tackle/flyfishing charters when not glassing.I fish some skinny water and some open.I have very specific needs.Has to take some chop yet needed 10-14 degrees of deadrise.I have an 18 Parker.I needed  some more room and did not have $40,000 for a new boat.So I went for a rebuild.There are very few hulls that matched my needs (Parker,Sea Ox, Seacraft ,Aquasport etc).I bought the hull off of Ebay for $900. When I got it home I found a rotten floor(wood) expected,A rotten transom and stringers  full of water (unexpected).So I gutted it,Threw away the floor ,transom and liner.Gutted stringers,they were trapiziod foam filled and were years ahead of others. I did everything with 34oz coaxial or 1808 biaxial and marine epoxy.All the foam is divinycell or high-density.I have made this boat lighter and stronger than it was new.

Clark Foam boxes make great template material

Way Cool Josh!!

Swaylocks  is so fun.  There is so much creativity, talent and energy in surfing’s small universe it is wonderful to have a place where it can be displayed.  Lord knows you can’t count on the mainstream media to ever cover it.  Even this thread it probably on the edge of breaking some off topic rules but it sure is neat to see other places where the same materials and skills are put to creative use.  I hope some others post up some of their other projects.

The lime green is a bit of a risk, but I am a big fan of bright colors.  Makes life a lot more entertaining then boring black and white!  These are my shop, Raging Isle’s, colors and since the Yacht will carry “Raging Isle” as it’s name the colors seemed appropriate, all be it a bit over the top!

Sounds like the surf here is raging… my house is shaking and the ocean’s roar indicates a large and rising swell.  Will be interesting to see how large it gets tomorrow.  The news was saying maybe 50’ on the outer reefs.  If the wind is right in may provide opportunity for some history making adventures!

I ran across one of the last projects I worked on at Dencho. 20 year old + boat and is for sale for over half a million dollars!  It had way more square footage than the condo I live in. It was built for Mike Miller of Quiksilver and from what I understand was his home in Hanalei Bay for some time.

1988 DENCHO MARINE Custom Catamaran Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Wow, is that color class legal!  Definately will be one of the nicest J24s I’ve seen when you finish, but if you are over early they will catch you every time.  Are the decks going to be green nonskid?

Aloha Riomar

Interesting tale!  Seems boats are never what you expected.  I wonder if that is half of the fun!  Kind of like a treasure hunt that is always more trouble then expected with a debatable pay off!  Very impressive.

Aloha llilibel03

I have known Mike for many years.  Small world!  He is now living in Thailand.

Aloha xlaser

Ha!  I spent some time sorting through the rules regarding “Sponsorship” in the J24 Class Rules.  Seems sponsorship is ok… so the good ship “Raging Isle” will be launching soon.  I don’t know if I will be racing it much though.  I did a lot of racing, cruising and deliveries in the past.  This will be more for fun daysailing on the North Shore.  But… If I can muster up a good crew…  It would be fun to do some selective racing again.  There are some great sailors here on the North Shore and the Island in general.  One of my North Shore friends won the SORC a long while back.  And many know Ted Wilson owner of Fiberglass Hawaii.  He is an excellent sailor.  When we raced Prindle Cats back in the 70s, I could never beat him!

Funny you should mention being “over the line early”.  That is exactly what another friend said!  I don’t plan on being over early anyway but I won’t sacrifice fun colors, just to look like all the other boring white hulls out there so as to not be noticed and singled out by the committee boat.  The deck is bright Yellow.  The green only goes up to the Toe Rail.

[img_assist|nid=1047751|title=Deck Sprayed Yellow Bow|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=480|height=640][img_assist|nid=1047752|title=Deck Sprayed Yellow Stern|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=640|height=480]

Sounds like you might have some sailing tales to tell, lets hear em!

Had some warm weather so got the forward bulhead in.Knew Mike Miller from the mid 70s'  on Kauai.great surfer

bulkhead

Ha, those colors will be fun, I used to tease my sister about her custom purple decks all the time back in  optis.  My sailing experience is mostly lasers and laser radials but I did some J24 sailing when I was at Annapolis and had a lot of fun.  I’d volunteer to crew, but alas, I am going to a P-3 Squadron in Whidbey Is Washingon instead of Kaneohe.  I’ll just have to work on my snowboarding and or get a much thicker wetsuit.  I sold my laser (decided I need to move up to something I can sail with the wife and dog), and might have a J24 myself one of these days.  Also looking at the Core Sound 17 http://www.bandbyachtdesigns.com/evergladeschallenge.htm as one that would be easy to trailersail and fun for camp-cruising.

Jeff