Barnfield - Probox

Was looking at the 9’ 6" x 21 3/4" Barnfield board in the Gallery at the Probox website: http://www.proboxfinsystems.com/pages/gallery.html

Very nice board… I noticed that the Probox side boxes seem to be installed under the glass.

• Firstly, am I correct or is this just a reflection / odd light in the photo

• Secondly, if correct has anybody got any tips on the procedure to do this… looks really clean!

Hoping someone can share some tips… not looking in your general direction Bill :wink:

-Cam

Aloha cam

Ha!, I never thought about the confusion that might create. That board has a Pigmented Gloss Coat. Hence the hint of color over the ProBoxes.

But it you wanted to glass over a ProBox you can easily do it.

After the normal installation and sanding of the box, you can place a patch over the box, then hotcoat and sand again to feather it into the original bottom Lam. Just be very careful that you tape off the area of the insert properly. When the patch and hot coat are nearly hard (just a tad green) trim the insert area with a sharp razor knife and bevel the edges of the patch back from the insert holes edges so that you won’t catch the patch edges and lift the patch off the box when removing inserts. (I have, a custom made, diamond grit router bit made for doing boxes this way) When you initially sand the box don’t sand it out too fine. Leave the heavy grit scratches for a better mechanical bond between the box and the patch.

Oh yeah, the screws can be or may still be filled with putty to protect them. Bevel the glass patch away from them with a large drill bit, so the screws can go in and out without catching on the patch. Don’t drill into the box material if you can help it.

Hope that helps!

Quote:

Aloha cam

Ha!, I never thought about the confusion that might create. That board has a Pigmented Gloss Coat. Hence the hint of color over the ProBoxes.

But it you wanted to glass over a ProBox you can easily do it.

After the normal installation and sanding of the box, you can place a patch over the box, then hotcoat and sand again to feather it into the original bottom Lam. Just be very careful that you tape off the area of the insert properly. When the patch and hot coat are nearly hard (just a tad green) trim the insert area with a sharp razor knife and bevel the edges of the patch back from the insert holes edges so that you won’t catch the patch edges and lift the patch off the box when removing inserts. (I have, a custom made, diamond grit router bit made for doing boxes this way) When you initially sand the box don’t sand it out too fine. Leave the heavy grit scratches for a better mechanical bond between the box and the patch.

Oh yeah, the screws can be or may still be filled with putty to protect them. Bevel the glass patch away from them with a large drill bit, so the screws can go in and out without catching on the patch. Don’t drill into the box material if you can help it.

Hope that helps!

Hi Bill, Nice work as always, thanks for showing that ProBox has many other ways of being installed. Your years of experience is always a joy to learn something new from. Mahalo, Larry