Bars of soap from your LaBoardAtory - Post your mini simmons pics!

Eight lbs. is very respectable. The home depot eps is 1.5 pound stuff, I think. And it is vented?

The HD stuff is very soft, I would think more like 1lb, maybe less.

Yes definitely vented, I wouldn’t think it would take much pressure to blow the rails off since there is no glass holding everything together.

.....great thread , THANKS !

I eagerly await more shots of 'mini-simmons' boards , to inspire 'moonie' to make one [i'll make some fins / keels / half-moon thingys for it , when he does it

cheers

ben

Been awhile since I posted a pic so might not show up.

Made this last early fall. Used a 8-0 blank, you can see the tail in the background. So it’s 6’ 23x18x15 at tail.

Lots of fun but I plan to put fins with more rake on the next one and may toe the fins in a touch more.

mini

Opps try again

Hi, im embarassed to say I have not even surfed this one, one of the downsides of having too many boards!

A friend borrowed it and so far ive ascertained that it is a really good paddler , he normally rides a mini mal and found it almost as easy to paddle… hope to try it out soon if we can just get some small clean surf here.

Burn, yeah the fins are a bit bigger and are based on some twin fins I have so pretty confident they will go good, plenty of flex too being timber, I figured if I wasnt going to have a center fin I could beef the sides up a bit.

Scoboy, the board was shaped from a cut down minimal blank so it does have a bit more rocker than some of the ones ive seen but will let you know how it goes once I ride it…

Just starting this one, but this is the newest mini addition.  It’s EPS and stringerless and going to be epoxy.  Probably 3 4oz on the deck and 2 4oz on the bottom, but haven’t decided yet.  This one is 5’4" as well, 22-3/4", and 3" thick.  I’ll add more pics when it’s shaped and glassed.

This is a very inspiring thread.  I have a damaged 7-10 funboard blank that I need to go measure. 

Keep the pictures coming.

c.  5’3  x  20"  x  2-1/4"

This is an 8’ “Simmons Inspired” SUP I designed with California point break surfing in mind.  This thing rocks!

Kirk

I just bought a 6’1" Pescado Marko blank and this is my best interpretation of the Mini Simmons thus far from my limited young’un knowledge.  

So far it’s 5’3" x 22" x 2 3/4", and that’s a single concave in the back half of the board.  My planer doesn’t plane perfectly level so it was a pain in the butt to not screw up that concave, but it mostly worked out. And yes, that line will be the actual tail shape eventually, just felt like doing something slightly different.

Gonna start the deck rail bands next, I’ll add pics to this post when I have more. 

Fins were made from a piece of solid poplar I found in the garage. 

5’6 by 22 1/2 by 2 7/8. Shaped by local hotshot Jordan Nobel. Im loving the speed of this thing! Also the big keels give it heaps of drive, so it doesn’t have the skatey feel of most fish and twinny’s that I’ve ridden.

IMG_0286.jpg picture by tjrm63IMG_0287.jpgIMG_0288.jpgHybrid ? 5' 6" x 22 1/2" x 2 7/8"

yummmmm..... i like orange !! ...

what fin/ fins/ keels / moonies do you use on that ?

cheers

ben

IMG_0291.jpg picture by tjrm63Ben, just a quad set of Vector 2's, the orange came out sweet thanks

Tom

Nice!

tjrim,

That board looks awesome mate. so stoked on making one of those.

IMAG0153.jpg picture by tjrm63 Thanks guys, here's his twin brother, Mahady Skeeter Model

Wow these boards are so cool!  What are they for?  How do they ride?  Are they hard for people relatively new to surfing?  I started about two years ago and I go 1-3 times a week.  I feel like I’m just starting to make the transition from catching waves to the beginnings of surfing them and I want to branch out from my 9’ longboard that’s the only board I’ve ridden besides my friend’s 9’ long board I learned on.  So I want to learn more about what boards are for what and who =)

Still need to finish sanding but here is where I am at so far…