Be careful with the acetone

Accidently knocked a metal can of acetone off of the shelf in the shed yesterday and the can burst.  Luckily there was nothing to ignite it and no electrical cords or power tools plugged in at the time.  That was an eye opener.  Be safe.

One of the advantages of glassing strictly with epoxy is I no longer need to keep acetone in my shop.  That sounds like a scary experience, glad nothing worse happened.

I once did a remodel-repair on a house with a kitchen fire.  I asked the homeowner what happened, he said that a painter had been spraying lacquer, and neglected to unplug the refrigerator.  The motor kicked on, and the spark ignited the lacquer fumes, and BOOM!  The kitchen blew up, the painter ended up in the burn center hospital.

Acetone expands in heat ive heard of cans bursting before…  so makes sense if it got pressurized yhen hit the floor… boom!

Yes.  When my shed is 90 degrees the can of acetone swells and I open it carefully.  Contents were under pressure when it hit the floor.  Poof.  Split the can.

At least your floors clean now. Lol

Definately not a laugh. Why do you need acetone, never used it? Got rid of my last flammable called  additive F with my commited use to green room resin years ago.  Never squirted PE resin catalyst in my eye either. That sways thread was a classic in the what’s safe category. Still have a PE glasser for the dedicated customer though.

De-natured alcohol is also very flamable. I use acetone for Poly work, mostly making fins, Alcohol for epoxy and xylene for thinning epoxy and cleaning.

I use vinegar for epoxy.   Way cheaper and it won’t evaporate so quickly.  .  You just have to deal with the salad dressing smell.  

Epoxy work I use nothing.  Bondo spreaders wiped with left over glass scraps, nitrate gloves, disposable brushes. I measure Epoxy by weight, so I can use any clean container avalaible… When done I throw it out.

epoxy is so thick that nothing gets on floor or on arms etc.   just take your time and virtually no mess.  Not like slinging poly resin, and racing the devil to get it done.

poly is so 2005.

made my day! 

This really isn’t an epoxy v poly debate thread although there are plenty of those threads here.  I’ve done epoxy and went back to poly for a variety of reasons.

This is True.  When I do Epoxy that’s the way Ido it.  But and although my new glass shop is relatively clean;  I do both Epoxy and Poly.  Some of the stuff I do in there would bring on the wrath of Kahn from the “greenie weenies”.

My brother uses a broken refrigerator to store his stuff. Where he lives the temps get up into the 90s during the worse months.