Before glassing...

Hey, i am about to try and glass the first blank i have ever shaped and i was wondering if you could share with me a couple of beginners mistakes that some of you made so that i could avoid them when glassing my first board.

i totally recommend jc’s glassing 101 video. Super Informative ! easily worth the $25. Just think of the money you have sunk into the materials on your board, isn’t it worth another few bucks to increase quality of the finished product ? (Don’t forget how important proper sanding is either) happy glassing, hope it goes good for you.

Use catalyzed small batches of resin to increase you work time. First batch big(pint to quart) The longer the catalyzed resin is in the bucket the quicker it will kick off. Mix the resin throughly. The first board will take twice as long as you think it will. Clip fared edge of fiberglass. Good smooth cuts. Glass should correctly fold at ends. Use protective equipment. Mast with carbon filter and gloves. For the latex gloves, I put on two sets on at first and peel off the upper set when it gets gunged up. Essential Surfing by George Orbelian (ISBN 0-9610548-2-4) has a nice glassing section. I use old carpet as drip surface to help clean up in the end. You roll it up and throw it way. It was going to the dump anyway. Think out the process before you start, have all of the tools there. Paint Buster by 3M is a good cleaner of skin. Acetone for your tools. The clothes you use will stay in the glassing area, not to go in the house. http://www.viser.net/~anthwind/

i totally recommend jc’s glassing 101 video. Super Informative ! easily > worth the $25. Just think of the money you have sunk into the materials on > your board, isn’t it worth another few bucks to increase quality of the > finished product ? (Don’t forget how important proper sanding is either) > happy glassing, hope it goes good for you. Yes, Glassing 101, that’s a good call. Also when hot coating and glossing do this in an area where there is NO air movement or direct sun light. Good Luck, Scott W.