Best All-time Noserider? Con Ugly or Bing Nuuhiwa Noserider?

And why? And how do you know? And What is the best Fin length/width/design/ that compliments the best hang time on these icons? Is the Model T just a late model Nuuhiwa Noserider? How come the Con Ugly isn’t readily available at least as a ghost shaped/licensed out reproduction? Inquiring minds wanna know bro!

And why? And how do you know? And What is the best Fin > length/width/design/ that compliments the best hang time on these icons? > Is the Model T just a late model Nuuhiwa Noserider? How come the Con Ugly > isn’t readily available at least as a ghost shaped/licensed out > reproduction? Inquiring minds wanna know bro! I cant give u first hand experience about which board is better…but I have read that the Bing is considered one of the best noseriders of all time. Joel Tudor has a Nuuhiwa replica, and I have seen a few Ugly reissues here in Hawaii at Chan’s on occasion. You might want to check out consurfboards.com for further info on the Ugly.

And why? And how do you know? And What is the best Fin > length/width/design/ that compliments the best hang time on these icons? > Is the Model T just a late model Nuuhiwa Noserider? How come the Con Ugly > isn’t readily available at least as a ghost shaped/licensed out > reproduction? Inquiring minds wanna know bro! Surfhungry, Back in the mid-late 60’s I surfed for Con / East. I had one of the first uglies made. My best friend back then surfed for one of the shop’s that sold Bing. We would often switch boards and compare. In my opinion they were both incredible nose riders. If I were to compare as a teenager, I would have said nothing nose rides better than the “Ugly”. Today I would say that they were pretty equal. I will say though the Ugly as good as a nose rider turned pretty well for a board of that vintage, as their was a radical (for the times)kick in the tail, to my knowledge not many were playing with rocker in the tail. I wish I could help you with fin length, etc., but that was a long time ago. I heard somewhere, where a friend of Gene Cooper, is building a pretty respectable Ugly and a few years ago Claude Codgins was also building them.

Surfhungry,>>> Back in the mid-late 60’s I surfed for Con / East. I had one of the first > uglies made. My best friend back then surfed for one of the shop’s that > sold Bing. We would often switch boards and compare. In my opinion they > were both incredible nose riders. If I were to compare as a teenager, I > would have said nothing nose rides better than the “Ugly”. Today > I would say that they were pretty equal. I will say though the Ugly as > good as a nose rider turned pretty well for a board of that vintage, as > their was a radical (for the times)kick in the tail, to my knowledge not > many were playing with rocker in the tail. I wish I could help you with > fin length, etc., but that was a long time ago. I heard somewhere, where a > friend of Gene Cooper, is building a pretty respectable Ugly and a few > years ago Claude Codgins was also building them. I stand to be corrected here, but if memory serves me correct, The Model T’s were built by Surfboards Hawaii then.I would’t consider them a Ugly or Bing knock off. If you want to see a board that will knock your socks off it’s Jim Phillip’s version of a model T. I’ve riden 2 of them that he shipped here last December. 1 a yellow tint and the other a blue. Look’s, they are a work of art, but boy do they ride !!!

R.I. Surfer and Surfhungry: R.I. remembers well. I agree with this as I was interested enough in the UGLY to find a decent remake of the design and ride it for the better part of a year. It noserides as well as any I’ve owned, classic or otherwise. The surprise was the way the thing turned! The shape I had was one done out of San Clemente by Midget Smith, I believe he calls it the “Smugly” model. It was glassed too light for my tastes but the outline, rocker and rail design was what caught my eye. Very parallel rails, approx. 19" N, 22.5" M, 16"T. It looked stiff with very little shape to the ouline. The tail rocker had to be the key. The first session I had on this thing it just baffled me how a board with that outline, sporting really soft rails in the tail area could throw turns and project out of turns the way it did. I used a 9" standard outline fin and then went to a 10" and preferred it in all around use. The board worked from 2’- 6’ with ease. As you can see it’s in past tense as I just sold it. Time for a change. I just shaped a 9’6" pintail in the spirit of an old board that I borrow from a friend from time to time. Surfboards Hawaii Stylist II pintail, this is my favorite classic rider to date. More on that as I get it pinlined, glossed and out for a test. Tom Sterne P.S.- Gene can hook you up with the shaper that is credited with some of the earliest work on the Con Ugly.>>> Surfhungry,>>> Back in the mid-late 60’s I surfed for Con / East. I had one of the first > uglies made. My best friend back then surfed for one of the shop’s that > sold Bing. We would often switch boards and compare. In my opinion they > were both incredible nose riders. If I were to compare as a teenager, I > would have said nothing nose rides better than the “Ugly”. Today > I would say that they were pretty equal. I will say though the Ugly as > good as a nose rider turned pretty well for a board of that vintage, as > their was a radical (for the times)kick in the tail, to my knowledge not > many were playing with rocker in the tail. I wish I could help you with > fin length, etc., but that was a long time ago. I heard somewhere, where a > friend of Gene Cooper, is building a pretty respectable Ugly and a few > years ago Claude Codgins was also building them.

Surfhungry,>>> Back in the mid-late 60’s I surfed for Con / East. I had one of the first > uglies made. My best friend back then surfed for one of the shop’s that > sold Bing. We would often switch boards and compare. In my opinion they > were both incredible nose riders. If I were to compare as a teenager, I > would have said nothing nose rides better than the “Ugly”. Today > I would say that they were pretty equal. I will say though the Ugly as > good as a nose rider turned pretty well for a board of that vintage, as > their was a radical (for the times)kick in the tail, to my knowledge not > many were playing with rocker in the tail. I wish I could help you with > fin length, etc., but that was a long time ago. I heard somewhere, where a > friend of Gene Cooper, is building a pretty respectable Ugly and a few > years ago Claude Codgins was also building them. Tom, Surfhungry, After all these years my old “Ugly” is still around. Unfortunately one of the owners throughout the years decided to paint it a disgusting shade of blue. I think they used Benjamin Moore. Plus they screwed with the fin, put in a fin box and screwed up a true classic.My wife, thought I made a terrible mistake by selling it years ago. As usual, she was right !!!

And why? And how do you know? And What is the best Fin > length/width/design/ that compliments the best hang time on these icons? > Is the Model T just a late model Nuuhiwa Noserider? How come the Con Ugly > isn’t readily available at least as a ghost shaped/licensed out > reproduction? Inquiring minds wanna know bro! Gary McKinnon in Scituate,Mass. has 6 brand new Uglies, still in the shipping boxes. He bought them for his shop in the winter of 67’, right at the start of the short V-bottom revolution. No one wanted longboards anymore, so he put them away in the rafters, can you say beach house paid in full.

R.I. Surfer: You know I would agree with you on reccommending one of Jim Phillip’s boards. We make annual trips back out to San Diego County to spend time with friends. I set aside as much time as I can looking through all the surf shop racks at boards. Last July I must have driven from O.B. to Oceanside and after looking at hundreds of boards a few stand out. Saw one of Gene Cooper’s that made it south, several of Stu Kenson’s and Shros’s in Mitch’s, stopped by and said hello to Donald T. and enjoyed the way Sid had the shop displayed. The last place I went in Oceanside had a board with Jim Phillips own label on it, a nice blend of old and new in a longboard. I would have bought it except my credit card was on the opposite end of the County. No doubt (as I found out later) being used for something other than surf gear. My wife and girls don’t appreciate a new surfboard as much as I do, imagine that. Tom Sterne>>> Tom, Surfhungry,>>> After all these years my old “Ugly” is still around. > Unfortunately one of the owners throughout the years decided to paint it a > disgusting shade of blue. I think they used Benjamin Moore. Plus they > screwed with the fin, put in a fin box and screwed up a true classic.My > wife, thought I made a terrible mistake by selling it years ago. As usual, > she was right !!!

R.I. Surfer:>>> You know I would agree with you on reccommending one of Jim Phillip’s > boards. We make annual trips back out to San Diego County to spend time > with friends. I set aside as much time as I can looking through all the > surf shop racks at boards. Last July I must have driven from O.B. to > Oceanside and after looking at hundreds of boards a few stand out. Saw one > of Gene Cooper’s that made it south, several of Stu Kenson’s and Shros’s > in Mitch’s, stopped by and said hello to Donald T. and enjoyed the way Sid > had the shop displayed. The last place I went in Oceanside had a board > with Jim Phillips own label on it, a nice blend of old and new in a > longboard. I would have bought it except my credit card was on the > opposite end of the County. No doubt (as I found out later) being used for > something other than surf gear. My wife and girls don’t appreciate a new > surfboard as much as I do, imagine that. Tom, I’m blessed for many reasons. One of those reasons is that my wife pushes me to buy, board’s, wet suits, etc. and she’s not and will ever be a surfer.I’m not old enough to have gone thru the depression, but in the industry I was in for 29 years I was the young guy and surrounded by many who had survived depression. So I heard all the stories and most people who know me call me a “depression baby”. By the way I have daughters also. Be well, and as Rich say’s : “Good surfing”>>> Tom Sterne

Gary McKinnon in Scituate,Mass. has 6 brand new Uglies, still in the > shipping boxes. He bought them for his shop in the winter of 67’, right at > the start of the short V-bottom revolution. No one wanted longboards > anymore, so he put them away in the rafters, can you say beach house paid > in full. Jim, What would one of those boards be worth today ? As much as there are great memories and rides from that board. I do enjoy the progression that boards have taken over the last 30+ years. I find no fault with sprinkleing a little of the new with the old. One of your favorite spot’s “lighthouse” went from knee high in the AM to head high +, by early afternoon. I was getting out and Levy and Little Levy, were going in. Dave say’s hello.

Jim,>>> What would one of those boards be worth today ?>>> As much as there are great memories and rides from that board. I do enjoy > the progression that boards have taken over the last 30+ years. I find no > fault with sprinkleing a little of the new with the old. One of your > favorite spot’s “lighthouse” went from knee high in the AM to > head high +, by early afternoon. I was getting out and Levy and Little > Levy, were going in. Dave say’s hello. Mrio called me this afternoon to tell me that it had popped up quickly, it was late and he didn’t have time to get back to 'Gansett for his gear. Tommorow N.E winds and a trip to the “K”. I am coming to New England with my little boy soon, I was there last to say a sad and final goodbye to my father. It’s time my mother got to know her Grandson before we have to say a goodbye again. My father used to beat the crap out of me for losing, breaking his tools, my little boys has everthing, there are those of you that would crap down your legs at the tools he has. And I’m not talking kiddie tools. He has block planes, spoke shaves, chisels, hammer, saws, drill, drawn knife. I watch him at his kids cabinet makers bench, biting on his tongue, tool in hand and I swear I can see my father guiding his little hands.

Mrio called me this afternoon to tell me that it had popped up quickly, it > was late and he didn’t have time to get back to 'Gansett for his gear. > Tommorow N.E winds and a trip to the “K”. I am coming to New > England with my little boy soon, I was there last to say a sad and final > goodbye to my father. It’s time my mother got to know her Grandson before > we have to say a goodbye again. My father used to beat the crap out of me > for losing, breaking his tools, my little boys has everthing, there are > those of you that would crap down your legs at the tools he has. And I’m > not talking kiddie tools. He has block planes, spoke shaves, chisels, > hammer, saws, drill, drawn knife. I watch him at his kids cabinet makers > bench, biting on his tongue, tool in hand and I swear I can see my father > guiding his little hands. I just had to put my two cents worth on this.Jim your dad was one cool guy.We used to make huge messes out on the Lanai in Hawaii while messing with boards.He never said much but when he did we jumped like little monkys.I really miss Rhode Island…frappes…pizza…agressive drivers…sleeping in the Phillips boiler room and a break called K39?

I just had to put my two cents worth on this.Jim your dad was one cool > guy.We used to make huge messes out on the Lanai in Hawaii while messing > with boards.He never said much but when he did we jumped like little > monkys.I really miss Rhode Island…frappes…pizza…agressive > drivers…sleeping in the Phillips boiler room and a break called K39? Roger, I’d give anything to have him on my ass one more time. He was the most amazing, patient, analitical craftsman I have ever known. He would tell my mother how I was just like my grandfather with my hands (he invented the pattern lathe and built the Grumman/Wright Hell Cat F-6 Navy WW11 fighter, the most feared WW11 aircraft by the Japanese). My dad looked like Tony Soprano

Roger, I’d give anything to have him on my ass one more time. He was the > most amazing, patient, analitical craftsman I have ever known. He would > tell my mother how I was just like my grandfather with my hands (he > invented the pattern lathe and built the Grumman/Wright Hell Cat F-6 Navy > WW11 fighter, the most feared WW11 aircraft by the Japanese). My dad > looked like Tony Soprano Nah he looked like you and Terry as I remember.The funny thing is that you Terry and Dolly all had that swagerring walk like the old man. Sorry Swalocks I guess this doesn’t have a lot to do with surboard design but I had to say it.

And why? And how do you know? And What is the best Fin > length/width/design/ that compliments the best hang time on these icons? > Is the Model T just a late model Nuuhiwa Noserider? How come the Con Ugly > isn’t readily available at least as a ghost shaped/licensed out > reproduction? Inquiring minds wanna know bro! best all-time nose rider is a Yater spoon.Best all-time tip rider? probably the Bing David N. noserider or perhaps even better, the Bing David N. lightweight.

Nah he looked like you and Terry as I remember.The funny thing is that you > Terry and Dolly all had that swagerring walk like the old man. Sorry > Swalocks I guess this doesn’t have a lot to do with surboard design but I > had to say it. Bob Purvey (team rider), wanted the ultimate noserider. Gary Seaman designed and shaped it! End of story… Except … Con decided, that after sales looked promising, that he designed it. He and Bob went to court. Bob got royalties. Gary had better things to do… (much later),I shaped my share of those suckers for about eight years. Still, one of the hardest combinations of curves to blend to date, that I’ll encounter. It was a Super Ugly, that got me. 21" one foot back from the nose x 8’5". Those were the days. And Tom you are correct, the flip in the tail was the innovative key. I’m still in touch with Gary, and when the subject comes up,(very rarely) he is quick to point out the special touch at the tail that answered the call. Bob Purvey is a very special individual. I hope he is well.

Bob Purvey (team rider), wanted the ultimate noserider. Gary Seaman > designed and shaped it! End of story… Except … Con decided, > that after sales looked promising, that he designed it. He and Bob went to > court. Bob got royalties. Gary had better things to do… (much later),I > shaped my share of those suckers for about eight years. Still, one of the > hardest combinations of curves to blend to date, that I’ll encounter. It > was a Super Ugly, that got me. 21" one foot back from the nose x > 8’5". Those were the days. And Tom you are correct, the flip in the > tail was the innovative key. ( When Dale Doson wanted a board for the Oceanside Noseriding event, I took a 10’1"Y cut it on center and layed it on stringer material. I kept the nose very straight, leading to the tail rocker and the flipped the living daylights out of it in the very last 18-24", it looked like a scorpion. Dale won, 47 seconds nose time, with one ride of 17.5 secs. on the tip. Guy Takayama 2nd, 26 seconds total. The tail rocker is the key.) JIM I’m still in touch with Gary, and when the > subject comes up,(very rarely) he is quick to point out the special touch > at the tail that answered the call. Bob Purvey is a very special > individual. I hope he is well.

You da man