Bill Barnfield rail bands PT II.....

Bill Barnfield, who added a significant body of knowledge to the rail band discussion, is at it again. This time it is in the form of a recreation of Margo Oberg’s 1977 gun.  The board is to be auctioned off at the California Surf Museum Gala on Nov 10, 2018.  Bill has posted some photos of the process on Facebook and graciously agreed to allow this to be posted here on Swaylocks. He has posted details in the past regarding the step by step techniques he employs in the process.  A picture is worth a thousand words…dig in!

I like the clips Matt Kinoshita has on youtube. He’s shared a lot of really good info on shaping there. This on is on rails.

God I’m a hack…

…besides the quality etc, I can add that you can see both worlds there.

Is not possible to obtain a moden HP shortboard the way the top photo shows and to shape a proper long board is not like the video shows; so check the first stuff for longer boards and the other for thinner smaller boards.

Yes I am.

Yes.  Sometimes there is just too much “over thinking”.  Mat’s process is simple and direct.  I admire guys like Bill and Rusty, but when I am turning a rail;  I want to have in mind ahead of time what I am after and the simplest path I can take to get there.   I think a good rail and the way it flows, blends unto the deck and bottom contours is the prettiest thing to behold in a shaped blank.

Bill is a generation ahead of Matt. Both make great boards.

I just like the way Matt posts a lot of clips about shaping online. That is very generous of him.

A few of us got to watch him at Del Mar.  Especially interesting to watch him use nail holes to gauge his depth.  Never seen that done.  But once I did, a light bulb came on in my brain.

My rails and deck bands, hotwire and sandblock, eps custom blank. I Then cut each band in half again and again up to finish…

…remember that in many cases, you need to adapt these approaches to get the final shape.

In my case occurs with the fish and recreational models.

Nail holes for depth?  Tell me more. 

All the best

What’s a “recreational model”?  A Soft Top?