Bill Caster Restoration. Does anybody have any history on this particular board?

200 hrs of work. Keith found it at swap meet in SD, I fix it up a little bit. New nose. new bottom, 32 dings repaired and sanded as flat as Stone Burners sense of humor. Yes its got a number but who cares. If you have seen this board you in the water in San Diego…tell me about it?

10’2" yellow/ black fin, yellow/black HD tail block. yello / black stripes…dude likes his yellow black.

Resinhead the Great

Here’s where it will live forever. With its other little striped friend.

I met Billy when he was just 16 years old. One of the nicest people EVER, in the surfboard industry. Bird Huffman, has an encyclopedic knowledge of Caster, and his boards. I think Bird has the most extensive collection of Caster Surfboards, in existence. Contact him.

I will get in touch with Eric

Looks killer! - very nice job!

Great Job !!!

I dunno how u did that, but it looks amazing!

Those boards are BLOWING MY MIND! Amazing work.

There seems to be a lot of restoration threads popping up lately and I’m loving it. Amazing job. Is that fin half yellow and half black? Any more pics? How did you do the coloring, resin/rattle can?

That one could have been made when he was still on Midway dr. Not the old lumber yard shop but down the street. Across from where the Frontier Drive in used to be. I hung out there as a kid and got bit by the I wanna make a surfboard bug from Bill and Phil…Bills longboards were some of the best.

Thanks ACE, the number is low something like 809 or 8XX something. It was found at Kolby swap meet…not far from its birth?

As for the resto. It’s all ding repairs and resin color, ya fix’m just like ya make’m. if I showed you the whole process, what would be the fun in that? A girl has to keep some secrets.

The fin is 1/2 yellow 1/2 Black, just like the tail block cept reverse

Pretty surfboard.
Humor?
What is that?

Hi Resinhead - I have a question if you don’t mind? On your restorations do you have a solvent you use for taking off all of the old wax residue. If you’re like me, maybe you’ve run across some contamination issues from wax that just seems to have penetrated deep in to the glass. I’ve tried rubbing it out, scrubbing it out, etc, etc. I know stuff like Coleman Fuel (white gas) works great for removing wax on a nice glossed finish but hesitate to use on an older board due to concerns with adding yet more contaminant to the picture. My best results have been to use a TON of fresh sandpaper and wear gloves but… ???

Very nice indeed. I am so digging the shine, wondering if I’ll ever be patient or skilled enough to get one that way some day.

Bill started using the HD foam tailblocks and had a chunk in the shop. He said he would build a free board if anyone could break it in half. Nobody did. Caster being a lowly San Diego shaper never got the recognition he deserved. He was a nice guy who let his boards speak for themselves. His racy pintails still look good.

You forgot the logo shot ? And s/n

John,
No issues with wax on this one. Keith had all the wax removed from it before I started work. Keith is a master wax remover. His technique, his supple caressing, he truly is a gentle lover, combined this with his acetone, windex, starter fluid and B12 Chemtol mixture would make even Rooster cry.

The board was sanded way way down with 60 grit, wiped with acetone, sanded, filled, sanded, wiped with acetone, sanded… Filled, glassed, colored,…filled, sanded, wiped, sanded, filled, wiped, sanded, colored, sanded, filled wiped filled …etc, etc. not much time for wax fish eyes to raise its ugly

That is some truly excellent restoration work.

The only thing that makes Rooster cry are Keith’s sea shanties before my first cup of coffee in the morning. “Ill sand and I’ll fill, it’ll give you a thrill!” said Barnacle Bill the sailor. Beautiful work, Resinhead! Mike

Ain’t no head, like Resinhead !