Bing Balsa Stepdeck

I was in my local shop and saw one of the most beautiful boards I’ve seen in some time: A 10-foot (maybe 10-2), SOLID BALSA, Stepdeck. Is Mike Eaton shaping these? Anyway, it brought up a few questions regarding stepdecks. I know there’s already been a discussion on the principle in a previous thread, but I still have a couple brief questions: First, does a stepdeck really work on a balsa board? I figure the solid wood would inhibit the flex, thus negating the purpose of the scooped-out deck. ? Next, For anyone who has tried to shape their own stepdeck, is there an exact science to the construction/placement of a stepdeck, or is it kinda like doing a concave…just go with the flow, carve something, and see what happens? I’m debating on whether I should try this on my next board. This brings me to the final question: Is there a certain board length requirement for this? I’m planning to shape at least a 10-footer, but should I go closer to 10-6 or something like that? Thanks for any advice…deeb…

Deeb… maybe they’d let you take it out for a test spin in the interest of design R&D? Seriously, step decks are a controversial aspect of board design. Check Greg Noll’s “Da Cat” designs - they feature that “spine” along the stringer with the dug outs on either side. Herbie Fletcher used to do a similar method. On the other hand, I’ve seen some Cooperfish’s that were so blended, you could hardly tell they were stepped (more “spooned”.) I’d say test ride what you can and pay attention to the rest of the board too - the step deck may not have been the nose riding key that the propaganda artists would have liked you to believe. IMHO, removing volume from the front of the board like that may actually DECREASE the nose riding characteristic of the board although improving other riding aspects. John Peck’s Penetrator re-issue has full thickness through the front. You might check “Longboard Quarterly” Fall '93 (Vol. 1 No. 2) article re: nose riding models which shows full outline views and measurements. I’d be happy to scan it to you. Re: shaper - Mike Eaton has rights to Bing label but doesn’t shape all of them himself. Dan Bendickson has been doing the Nuuhiwa noserider re-issues - maybe you could find some initials on that balsa board.

Deeb: Bing Label= lots of shapes by Joe Bauguess. If he didn’t do it I bet he could tell you who did. Eaton facility is listed in the San Diego directory. TS>>> I was in my local shop and saw one of the most beautiful boards I’ve seen > in some time: A 10-foot (maybe 10-2), SOLID BALSA, Stepdeck. Is Mike Eaton > shaping these?>>> Anyway, it brought up a few questions regarding stepdecks. I know there’s > already been a discussion on the principle in a previous thread, but I > still have a couple brief questions: First, does a stepdeck really work on > a balsa board? I figure the solid wood would inhibit the flex, thus > negating the purpose of the scooped-out deck. ?>>> Next, For anyone who has tried to shape their own stepdeck, is there an > exact science to the construction/placement of a stepdeck, or is it kinda > like doing a concave…just go with the flow, carve something, and see > what happens? I’m debating on whether I should try this on my next board.>>> This brings me to the final question: Is there a certain board length > requirement for this? I’m planning to shape at least a 10-footer, but > should I go closer to 10-6 or something like that? Thanks for any > advice…deeb…