Bing

I’d have to get out my tape measure. Pretty sure its 7’6-7’8’. Actually my father who is an auction nut and spotted the board in a heap of junk at an estate auction. He called me and I drove an hour to the auction and scored it. The real reason it looks as good as it does is that at some point in its life someone had made a half azzed attempt to re-gloss the board using boat yard resin. Whatever resin they used was garbage and yellowed badly and was full of brush strokes. That stupid half azzed attempt at gloss actually protected the board and that is why today after having sanded off that layer of crap the board underneath retains much of its original color. Below is a picture of the board exactly as I found it at the auction:

…this Con shows what I said about the difference in quality of the tints and silk screen process from the Bing to the rest.

BTW, I got the birth certificate from Bing Coleman himself today. It’s legit

Bing Copeland. Sorry

That’s great that you got the certificate from Bing. It’s really cool that he offers these. He’s one of the few 60s builders who kept accurate records. No surprise that it was first sold in Cocoa Beach, since you scored it in Fla. And you even know the name of the first owner. Even better.

I had a feeling it was more in the mid 7’ range, just by the outline and thickness distribution. At that length it’s probably from 1969. 7’6" was pretty much the typical length on the EC in '69. Probably came from one of the Ron Jon shops when new. They were Con dealers as I recall. Great score, anyway. Especially at that price for such a clean board. Good thing you know how to use a sander :wink:

To my eye it looks like Bing was using a different process for these logos than the traditional rice paper like on my Con. The logo is screened onto a white background. Also looks like the logo is out on the surface under a hotcoat rather than under the cloth.

That could well be. If this a real early Pintail the rice paper lams may not have been on hand yet and they improvised a way to get the image on the board to get it out the door during the peak summer season on the EC. Birth cert is dated July, after all.

This one doesn’t show the paper and looks more like a typical lam.

Maybe it’s the angle of the photo but I would say that the outline of this CON is rather “piggish” whereas the BING has a very well balanced outline: we still use such outlines in what we call “minimals” today.

Nice score on that one! Beauty of a fin. That fin template was always my favorite and was used by a lot of Shapers during that era. I’m sure mammy will correct me but I seem to recall that being a G&S fin??? Maybe the Hy-1 or 2. Once the Bahne box came along we started grinding our own to fit that box. Plus Twins were pretty wide spread by then. Turns just kept getting harder and barrels deeper. Needed “holding” power. Lowel

Let us know what it sells for $$

Mako, here’s a Fins Unlimited ad from September 1968. Your fin looks like the one on the right, called the “Phase 2”. I’m sure if you take a tape measure to it the numbers will match up.