Blackies DEL CANNON

I just “inherited” Ed “Blackie” Hoffman’s DEL CANNON. 10’6" X 22" wide. Super light for it’s time. This board has a few stories linked to it. 

THAT…is the score of a lifetime! Hall of Fame piece.

Really awesome. What’s with the hole on the nose? It can’t be for a gopro.

Someone put it there to hold a fising pole. That will be removed. I have to figure what direction I want to take with getting it back in the water. The hull is a great shape  and is a perfect weight. There are a couple dings that need to be fixed. The major issue is the old box. It is loose and is going to fall out. I am undecided on rather to repair the old Wave Set box and keep the crappy fin, it would “work”. Or fill box area and put one of my old paddelboard keel fins. From a rider point the Keel would be a improvemt from a “collector” point of view the old box would be best I guess. It is a board that in the water will still hold its own…As a shaper for me to know someone ws still using a board I made was still being used while I was no longer here would be a real compliment. I would not care that someone had replaced a obsolete fin system with something better. But the collectors would be having a fit…

Fix the old box and make a contemporary fin to fit in. Should not be that hard.

Great piece of history right there Ace.  Balsa suggestion is probably best.  Best of both worlds.

Either that, or simply stabilize the box and then use a FU box adapter in the waveset box. Pretty easy to make, or PM me and I’ll send you the contact info for the fine fellow who made mine.

Killer, screws into the original box with the original or replacement screws. Then put whatever standard fin you want to use.

Stoked for you, by the way. What a great “inheritance”!

An adapter would be nice. Only problem is the Waveset box’s are about 11-1/2" long inside channel. The one on this board is 8" long. Might be a old twin fin box.  

Aloha Ace, That box looks like the 2nd Gen. Bahne Box, made out of white Cycolac.      As I recall the Wave Set Box was capped with glass.      The Bahne Box had two sliding plates, and a screw at each end of the fin.      Pop the fin out, and see if the box has a name inside.

UPDATE the box and fin slide out of board. The screws came out OK. After some subtle persuasion the fin came free. BINGO Bill be rght. Kinda opens up some interesting possiblities I think a 8-1/2" Bahne box would just about fit right in the old slot… Will be working on it soon. The box is pretty loose and the screws look like the have been in there for a LOOOONG time. But you never know might get lucky…