board design and people..

…we always discuss about if -measurements here-, fins, etc, affect the boards performance-. but i think that the newbie average surfer dont understand that his/her abilities are important-also the psichologic factor…

…ex.: you know, with a modern thruster (6 3 - under) you must “driving”, moving pressure the boards all the time to achieve the design implied for it, if you dont do that, the board lacks performance…so,

-The guy go to the surf shop and tell the man for a board, he explain that he wantsa board for tricks, etc (hand moviments here), the seller tell him , well, this is the board right for you, blah , blah- you know, the guy gets back to his home with his brand new board thinking : yeah, with this board i ll fly like (pro surfer here)- but he dont…

…i dont know if you got my point…

…the board design or the board itself is not 2+2=4…, like a car model which you expect and prove for what its constructed…

…i think at least 50% (minimum) its up to the GUY who buy the board, but he dont know that…dont he…

maybe that’s why i see those youngsters in the beach trying to surf ultra thin 6’ thrusters in 2’ weak waves. they get influenced by what they see in tv and surf magazines.

…yes, and the average people who buy a board dont understand that is not READY TO something

is not user friendly or is ready potential but it´s up to you…

…i think at least 50% (minimum) its up to the GUY who buy the board, but he dont know that…dont he…

I’d have to say it is more like 70-90% rider. Sure the right tool for the job helps, but you think Slatter, Taj…

can’t rip it anywhere on any board you give them.

The board is what makes the last little bit. (which may actually be wave entry for some but it is the final % not the majority)

REALLY interesting you posted this reverb !!

During this morning’s surf, I couldn’t help but notice a few different things going on in the lineup…

It was one of those days where you think it’s ankle to waist high . If you didn’t check it long.

Sitting inside, paddling sideways underwater , in the impact zone, were the learners on the very boards mentioned…6-6’3 x 18 x 2 1/4" wafer thrusters. [Others were drifting down the beach on their bics, blissfully unaware they were caught in the sideways currents !]

Sitting outside, were the overweight walrus moustached 9’+ mal riders. [I kid you not… they even live up to the cliche, complete with webbed paddling gloves and short legged wetsuits [ spring suit], with booties [!] ] Also, it seemed, having difficulty catching the waves, which in typical fashion, were slow takeoffs , then throwing/closing out on a shallow, board snapping inside bank.

Into this mix paddles out jo sponnoed dude on an identical board to what the beginners are floundering around on. Paddles too deep, stalls [!!], gets a couple second tube, spat out the end, big cuttie to finish off.

Interesting watching him on subsequent waves…his subtle weight distribution, use of ankles , knees and hip flexibility [heck , the kid was probably 25 years younger than me…thirty or more years younger than the beer gut brigade out the back.]

Being that they were shifty beachbreaks, I noticed his ability to be in ‘the right place at the right time’.

He knew where and when to pump the wafer for speed, and when to relax… not what I would call a ‘hopper’, thankfully.

It got me thinking, and in fact I mentioned it to my mate I was surfing with at the time… the concept of ability, and then, watching video footage of a slater or more particularly, Curren, how he can ride a 60/70’s skip frye designed fish at small j-bay and RIP figure 8 cutback/roundhouse combos effortlessly where most would be bogging nose rails or trying to adapt to the slide as the keel left the water.

In a word, finesse…

Man, I must have watched derek hynd at j-bay in that ‘litmus’ video on the same board at least thirty times.

Because, to me with my limited knowledge, it ‘don’t seem right’… thick, chunky, wide, flat, board with a honking great 12" wide fishtail pod, BIG, longbased wood fins, pointed straight ahead, god knows what kind of rails [hopefully they had some kind of hard edge from at least in front of the fins back]… on THIS board, there’s good ol’ derek having a bit of a play [!!] in overhead dredgy jeffrey’s bay !! [I could see that would be a wave where a foiled, rockered sleek thruster with good rails and fins would be a choice I’d prefer]

But then, I’ve seen some of the ‘cords at j-bay’ footage, and how well Dan Malloy makes the fish perform. And Dave Rastovich, and donovan frankfurter , and joel, and rob machado, all riding different/ing boards, and it all looks GOOD to me!

Buttons in the 70’s …from the footage and mags I’ve got, seemed to be able to ‘jump on whatever came along , and RIP !’ to quote one of the captions. [Didn’t have to ‘pump’ THOSE boards for speed, just as an aside!]

Seems to me some of the factors involved include fitness, water time and the related ocean knowledge, natural ability/ co-ordination, board familiarity / confidence, awareness of different designs characteristics, and fins, having the right tool for the job, so to speak…and even if not , having the ability / confidence/ courage to make it work anyway…that last bit may come under the heading finesse. I posted a thread at surfer design forum once under fish finesse, something like that, asking for people’s comments on that very issue [probably should have asked Tom !]

I guess all this amble is saying to condense it to one sentence is, some ride at a certain level all their lives [that’s unfortunately probably me included! in that category], some have a good ability, and a few have finesse. Something that becomes evident in slow motion video subtlety…I think I became very aware of this watching the mentioned footage in ‘searching for Tom Curren’, and Michael Peterson’s segment in ‘Morning of the earth’, as well as most of the Slater footage from whenever!

ben 

ps - here’s a question / food for thought…

Are they called ‘high performance thrusters’, these wafers, because they really DO perform at a ‘higher level’ than other boards ??

or, is the [cold/hard/simple] reality , for some [?most?] people who ride them, that the rider has to ‘perform’ a lot [read wiggle, weave, pump… and , god forbid ! HOP] … just to keep the things MOVING ??

… it’s worth thinking about. [or is it?]

This really is a timeless subject and since we’re all influenced by the surf media, I’d say it’s worth thinking about.

Shift back 35 years and the same discussion could be taking place but substitute someone like Jock Sutherland for Curren or Slater. Jock Sutherland was famous for stuff like switch footing either way and cranking his bottom turns in either direction. His surfing even by today’s standards was outstanding - approaching vertical and banking nearly upside down off the top - on thin skinny single fins. Like Curren, he could probably ride anything.

A typical surfboard ad campaign involved buzzwords like “Mind Machine” - apparently because the only high performance surfing we (the unwashed masses) could do on those boards was in our minds. If we saw photos in the magazine or footage in the movie of our hero riding a super slick sliver stick at Pipeline or wherever, we all knew that with THAT board we could surf just like our hero… even if in reality most of us were merely sinking on the shoulder at our local mushburger break.

Yeah I’ve seen that before. the newbies taking a wave and staying static over the board waiting for something. maybe they think the board is gonna make the tricks for itself.

for me surfing is about having fun. but for having fun you must consider your abilities and what kind of wave do you want to surf (am i right?). before building my board i read a lot about it here at swaylocks. i think everybody who wants to learn how to surf or to build surfboards must take a look in the forum/archives. my board is the opposite to a high performance thruster: a heavy 7’2’’ 22’’ wide, hollow wooden single fin. i love the old style surf, no tricks, no radical manouvers, just cruise the wave. other surfers saw my board and they told me it will never work (of course, nobody can make any trick with a 22 pounds board in 3’-4’ waves) . but it did worl, and now i have fun and surf more waves per session than they do. Jack.

Some people look at my 5’11 x 20 x 2 1/2" fish [not common here in perth, particularly with removeable fibreglass twin keels], and ask me how the “kneeboard” goes. Older blokes want me to ride a mal. In summer, I switch to the 3" thick len dibben twin fin version, [6’1" x 20 3/4"] ,and catch as many little waves as they struggle puffing and panting on their 10’ers. Go figure.

By the way, I DO occassionally borrow a mate’s 10’er. Then… cross step, coffin , dying cockroaches, silver surfer, switchfoot, finfirst takeoff / wipeouts, whatever…it’s all fun !!

right board for the conditions has been my creed and aim for a few years now…

ben

yep ben , im with ya there…

right board for the right day for the right surfer matched to his ability…

i lean back to 50/50 …

to the untrained eye its not easy to spot why one board works and others dont …

once i had a guy come in and ask me to have a look at a board for him …

an old early eighties thruster… it looked like a serious pig but after i measured it up and balanced all the fors and againsts , it was a magic board …

theres a common saying that a pro can rip on a door …

not true …

if they cant rip on a board they wont ride it …

that said , even if you see a pro or red hot surfer on a retro style board and hes ripping , itll be a magic board ,with a combination of curves and features , that just arent apparent to the average person …

i remember when i was in my teens , surfing well on some boards , kooking on others , just thought i was having bad days some days …then i would get to ride pro cast offs , you know , the brand new board the pro got , rode it once , wasnt magic enough…

my surfing would go up 3 levels on the first wave , then another 2 levels by the end of the surf …

for high performance surfing , board design is critical …

i was out the other day , a few others were out , 2 guys that normally slay in solid stuff were both complaining about having a bad day …

i was having a ball , one of them says " man your on fire today " , i say not really , just got the right board for the conditions …later in the surf one of them says to me " i dono whats wrong , i just cant get it together today" , i say , youve got the wrong board for the conditions…

the next day same guys at the same spot , but the swell had picked up a bit … now they were surfing rings around me ,

comes back to the right board for the right day for the right surfer …

regards

BERT

… further… “the chicken and the egg” revisited…

IF we’re stuck with ONE board, how well can we make it work/ adapt our surfing to ‘fit’ that board’s performance characteristics/ idiosyncracies…

Terry Fitzgerald said a few interesting things over the years regarding surf boards and surfing . Here’s a couple : -

“all boards work… some better than others”

and, referring to himself,

" I know how I surf, and I design a board around that"

That’s an interesting take on things !

[I wonder how many people do the exact OPPOSITE to that !]

ie : As reverb pointed out… walk into a shop, buy a [?wrong?] board off the rack, and then struggle for ages to try and adapt their surfing to the board?

uh, ha ... 

ben