Board Repair Delamination

Hi!

So, I am currently repairing / restoring a Junod Egg which has lot‘s of hairline cracks (see other post) and a delamination. Until now I thought it was a delamination… well, after I cut out the glas of that area, I found out the foam under the glas was still sticking to the glas while a little bit deeper there seems to be some kind of hollow area in the blank…? This is weird…

What would you do in this case, put some resin into that cavity or remove the foam and fill somehow?

I am happy for any advice. I have been doing a few ding repairs but never such a bigger repair…

Thanks!!

If I was repairing that board, as I see in the pics, I would mix some resin with thickener, like Q-cell, and red tint to match as close as I could (looks like red with a bit of black added).

You’re just using this as a bonding paste since there is no large void to fill, and there’s no need to complicate the repair, since your removed chunk is the exact shape and size and color already. I have done this exact thing before, and it turned out great. The only trick is to hide the line of paste (which may not even be an issue depending on how tight the glass of the removed chunk fits back into place), tinting it to match, or painting carefully with a small brush before glassing over the repair.

Paste your thickened resin on the board and the piece removed, and press it back in place flush and tape it there. Squeegee the excess, and let it dry. Sand it, and glass a small piece of glass over the repair a little oversized. Feather the edges, and finish as usual.

It’s the foam that broke from itself. Common problem. Glue back what you cut out. Sand down aggressively the patch and area around it. Glass over it with gf. Hotcoat, sand, glosscoat and polish. Or skip gloss and rattle can spray it.

Avoid filling large voids with q cell or micro balloons. Route out old foam. Shape up new piece of foam. Mix up lam res and microbaloons and press in foam. Reshape. Skim coat with filler. Glass and hot coat then pau

Thanks for your advice! Really appreciate this! I think I will route out the old foam and glue in some new… and laminate.
I will post some update as soon as I go further with the restauration…