Board size for my kids

Hi,
I’m thinking to shape a board with my kids and wonder wich size would be great.
They are 8, 10 and 12yo from 30kg to 40kg. And they are beginner.
I found outline and rocker template to make an Egg with those dimensions 6’3" - 20 3/4" - 3 0"
I also would like to put EVA foam on the deck and smooth fins.
What do you think about that dimensions and template ?

Maybe the nose rocker is a bit too high on the template.

Here are the full specs.

EGG_rocker+outline_6-3_details-01

That might be fine to push them into waves on, but if they are beginners they will probably need more foam in order to paddle in themselves and more width for stability when getting up. I started my kids on 40L foam fish and that was probably too small. Then we went to Wavestorms (8’ cheap foam board) and they surfed those until they were competent and now they’ve transitioned back to glassed boards and working their way down in length.

Get them more stability so they can master popping up and turning a larger board, plus they’ll just get more waves = more reps = faster learning. Then when they move to smaller boards the learning curve (frustration) will be less.

Your design looks fun, but that’s more of a performance shape/size. I’d surf it! Good luck!

Thanks for the answer !

I was thinking less width would be easier for them to paddle, not thinking to stability.
Also, I though that smaller board would make them more “autonomous” (bring the board to the sea, …).
But you’re right, the aim is to get waves (easier) ! :wink:

So I gonna go back to the initial 7’3’’ template wich will be larger and thicker.
I’ll post the new specs if you have time to have a look.

Here is a new template with more length (33cm), width (5cm) and thickness (13mm).
It’s around 56 liters.

I’ll probably put a “grip insert” in the middle on the deck, so it will be easier for them to handle the board to the sea. :wink:

Do you think it’s better like this ?
And is it not too much nose rocker ?

I would take out some thickness. Look at the dims on most 7’ boards. I think your width is good, but you probably don’t need to be more than 2-3/4” thick, 3” tops.

I’m building a board right now that’s 6’10” x 21-1/2” x 2-3/4” x 46L. It will be used by me (5’10” x 155lbs) when the waves are small and by my 15 year old daughter as a next step smaller than what she’s on now.

And rocker will depend on the types of waves you are riding. Mine has 4” nose and 1-3/4” tail and appears to have a more gradual curve than yours. But I’m also using it at a slow reef break so less rocker will help with paddling and the wave isn’t steep so I worry less about pearling.

Thank you again for your detailed answer !

I’ve made it less thick and put a bit less rocker… first waves won’t be steep :wink:

I hope it will suit the children… or just be a surfable board ! :sweat_smile:

Here is the last version, if you have some time to have a loook :wink:

The nose rocker is a bit more constant and tail nose a bit bigger.

Looks good to me. You’ll need to get some other opinions from here but I’d say you’re in the right overall window. Have fun!

Thank you !

Other opinions ? :wink: