Boardcad spin template

Anybody know why boardcad adds the extra bit to the tail side of the curve, that extends past the end of the nose curve??

seems that if i cut the nose side of the template where it ends, i will be loosing a good 7-8" of my tail side line?

Sorry I don’t use board cad, so don’t know anything about that. But I do know that a spin template generally works from the nose to the wide point, and the tail to the wide point. If the wide point is not exact center, lengthwise, seems like there will be a discrepancy as you’re describing.

yeah i figured it was because of the wide point. Really thought the program would just add the extra space to the back side of the nose curve where there is already 7’-8" missing( the first sheet is nothing but tail curve) that way the nose and tail sides could meet flush for a much more user friendly template.

One way to see what BoardCAD does while it prints is to make a temporary file of the board scaled to fit on one piece of paper.
The example is scaled to 10" x 2.5" measuring 10.12" over the curve.
You can send this output to a printer or to a PDF file if you have the right drivers.
As it prints the spin template, you can see that printing over the curve adds a little to the template if you finish out the curves and ends up right on the even inches when printed not over the curve.

How did you get the full template and spin template in the same print? I did one without overcurve and it still adds too much to the tail side but the little gap in between the nose and tail is gone that is the only difference.

I think the program starts the spin template on the tail side and fills up the paper. Once the spin template is done, it keeps drawing until that piece of paper is full.
Since my little test board is so small it can draw it all on one page.
If I scale this up it adds a page but stops on the page that completes the spin template.
PS scaled full size, 6’2", picture below. It does not draw the complete nose side of the half template after the spin template is finished.

Ah! So what im seeing is the line extending from the full size template mixed with the spin? So i should be able to cut the template at the nose line and that is the actual spin template and i dont have to worry about the extra.

Deez, I think you got it.

better to go a little long on your spin template so that your template overlaps the wide point. This allows for adjustment and a smoother outline when you draw it on the blank.