Bob Simmons Influence

Sorry Dean,

I just realized I misinterpreted the thread your question was pertaining to. I’ll have the dimensions tomorrow.

I edited the post to put this back on track and will post the dimensions then. I was also going to speak with Jeff and Terry and get some of their direct feedback as to what they were after in their design.

LT

How thin can you make the stringer made from colored foam and can you glue multiple colors together like a foam tband?

Thanks LT.

If you’re asking me about rockers, I’d say flat as possible…

The one above has 1" in the tail, and about 3’ in the nose. At 5’8" its looks quite flat, but is quite nimble.

thanks

From Scott Dillons surf museum in NSW, Australia

From the Sway’s archives…by Paul Gross in early 03

I had a chance to spend some time with Terry and Jeff to get some more design details. Here’s the skinny:

As they approached the project they had some long discussions regarding Simmons and the philosphy they would take in this design. Terry’s thought was that Simmons was always so forward thinking in his designs that Terry felt if Simmons were alive today he would still be forward thinking and would have adapted the latest available knowledge and design technology so for Jeff and Terry the changes they made were part of their way of honoring Simmons and his influence.

One of the large departures they made was to flatten out the bottom and eliminate the concave. Terry rode Simmons boards back in the day at Sunset Cliffs and always felt they were a little hard to control. He wanted to tone down this element and make the board more forgiving. They felt that the width throughout the board and the super wide tail gave enough lift and that the concave would have been too much lift and Jeff was looking for more drive and forgiveness and was looking to gather every bit of speed the wave had to offer.

Another major departure is in the rail design. They went for much thinner rails to improve the responsiveness of the board. It is extremely thin in the tail and the rails are also thin and tapered throughtout the length.

They kept the wide tail, the dish in the nose, the width throughout the length and the planing surface.

All the models are multifinned. They kept them all stringerless, except for the high density foam stringer. Jeff likes the speed dialers, particularly how they are a new look at an age old fin design.

Here are the dimensions you requested:

Board 1: 6’-1" length, 21 1/8" at the widest pont, 2 1/2 inches thick, 17 1/2 inch width at 12" from the nose, 18" at 12" from the tail and 13" width at the end of the tail.

Board 2: 7’-4" length, 20 3/4" at the widest point, 2 1/2" thickness, 16 1/2 inch width at 12" from the nose, 17" widt 12" from the tail, and 12 1/2" width at the tail.

Board 3: 8’-6", 21 1/2 " width at widest point, 2 5/8" thickness, 16 1/2" width 12" from the nose, 17 1/2" width 12" from the tail and 12" width at end of tail.

All the boards have a mild “V” botom at the tail, flat through the center, mild belly at the nose, mild dish at the nose, high density foam stringer and Lockbox Speed Dialer fin set-ups.

Here are some more photos that hopefully show some details. Please excuse my amatuer photographic skills.

Thanks very much for the dimensions. Nice to see someone finally offering stringerless PU! I have one final question if you don’t mind. Do you know if any rocker was put into the boards or is it just the scooping in the nose and vee in the tail that give the impression of rocker?

Mostly a trick of the eye. Terry used a 6-3 fish blank for the 6’-1" board. For the 7’-4" board he used an 8’-4" hybrid blank and didn’t use much of the nose so he could get the flat rocker. For the 8’-6" board he used a 9’-3" longboard blank. He used the oversized blanks with natural rockers so he could get the length he wanted out of the naturally flat part of the blank.

Rocker Profile…10-4 (2003) Paul Gross Simmons imfluenced single fin…

10-4 by 23wide 31/2thick

19 inch tail

18 inch nose

about 1 inch of tail rocker

Thanks again.

No worries. Terry loves sharing his opinions and experience but isn’t much for the on line thing so I thought I’d take the liberty of doing the posting, but from my conversations with him it’s clear that from his perspective the cross-fertilization of ideas is one of the cores of design evolution. Hope all this helps.

By the way, Terry did another one of the Simmons influenced boards that is currently going through glassing, and if possible, looks better then these three. I’ll post some pics before it gets sent to it’s new owner in Maryland.

Quote:

If you’re asking me about rockers, I’d say flat as possible…

The one above has 1" in the tail, and about 3’ in the nose. At 5’8" its looks quite flat, but is quite nimble.

thanks

Thanks for that royal, from a pic of a 6’ foil view I had scaled (guessed) about 3-1/2" nose and 1" tail.

I’ll try and post mine. Just finished the final sanding.

do you live in the garden of eden, mike?

Joe Bauguess has shaped numerous Simmons. This is a very special one shaped for an artist in San Diego. Look at the art work as well as the shape. The blank was made wider with a strip of additional foam in the middle in order to get the correct tail width for the original design.

Enjoy.

Scott

Rooster,

Looks great! Can’t wait for the ride report.

Here’s the bottom. Thanks Kirk. I’ve got about 2 or 3 more weeks before I can surf again. The knee is healing nicely at this point.

And the foil.

afoaf, Monterey County is a beautiful place. It’s imortant to look at each day through the eyes of a tourist so as not to take it all for granted. You’ll have to visit. Mike

And the keels. It’s an honor to have my board posted next to a Baugess and I don’t presume to compare it to the guys doing this type of work. Mike