Bob Simmons Influence

True, but then you’d have a board you could never duck dive (it’s not like these things are easy to get under anyway) and blending into the nose rails seems like it would be no easy task, although I readily admit that’s just a non shapers iobservation. The thickness is important for sure, all that float and planing speed. By the way, I should have I have mentioned the explanation comes via J. Elwell, so I figure if anyone has a good take on why the scooping it’d be him. Rooster- how’d that new one work?

[img_assist|nid=1044642|title=minis|desc=|link=none|align=center|width=480|height=640]

That board is beautiful.  Thanks for posting it, Proneman.  If you ever get the chance, visit the Surfing Heritage Museum in San Clemente, CA.  There are several Simmons originals plus a lot more.  I don't know if this is their policy, but I was allowed to touch them and feel the rails, etc.  Mike

Simmons board went for $40,000

A10-4 Kivlin balsa for $39,000

Having gone out for Chinese pre-auction…no $ left for bidding

roger

Hope some of these historical boards end up in a place where the public can enjoy.

Whoa! So how does that cool little board surf? How big was the rider? Details please. I’m very interested in getting something like that.

Steve

If you are referring to  this one, it's meant to be ridden prone.  50" X 20½" X 2"±

Even though it has a fairly light glass job, the wood's so dense it weighs in at 18lbs.             

It rides like a souped up Cadillac. ;-)

I should have quoted this post before, but this is the board that I was wondering how well it surfed, and paddled, and how big the human was that surfed it? I’ve ridden lots of weird skate-ee boards over the years and I’d like to know as much as possible about this one because I’m thinking of having something like this shaped.

Steve

Magenta,

I was wondering the same thing. 

I just noticed consofos question.  Kirk, if you come back to this thread, mine was 'stiff.'  I'm going to try again, though. Mike

The original Simmons went for $40,000 recently at the RR auction..........anyone got a photo of the board?????

Proneman , is that it above ???

Yep

priceless !........thx

is the polish just part of the restore?..................what was the original finish?

[quote="$1"]

is the polish just part of the restore?..................what was the original finish?

[/quote]

Not original finish.    Restoration was done by Carl Ekstrom, I am told.    I personally never saw a finish that good on a Simmons board.    Even up to 1960, what came off the brush, was what you got, as far as the finish was concerned.

Two points where it would be great to get some feedback please…

1) TRACKING: With all that width and thickness, and especially with the longer mini simms, It seems like these boards would track heavily, especially with backside bottom turns and cutbacks - is that true?

2) CONCAVE RAILS: To minimize tracking and get a more snappy mini simm (or fish), it seems like a concave rail line would be perfect for these boards. Let me explain: 7S Surfboards puts this hollow/concave thing that runs from near the nose to the tail on the deck rail. They call it a “step deck” (which is nothing like the original noserider step deck). Anyway, the concept works because you still have the volume in the rest of the board for paddling but now you have a thinner more responsive rail line. This rail was discussed in another thread and has some photos although they are hard to see the actual concave in the rail.

What do you think?

Thanks

Steve

first I ever heard of Bob Simmons was the reference in Greg Noll's book.    What amazed me was, between balsa and clark foam , he was playin with ply over EPS !!!!!!!...........................the original compsand???                        more drinking from the well

Here’s Simmons at Malibu, July 31 1949

[img_assist|nid=1045242|title=simmal|desc=|link=none|align=center|width=640|height=455]

59 years and 51 weeks later here’s Lucas on the repro Simmons balsa, same spot.

[img_assist|nid=1045243|title=lucmal|desc=|link=none|align=center|width=640|height=521]

And here’s the original Casper, mini Simmons #2, being ridden by Tyler Warren in the ‘Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables’ film that’s just come out apparently. There’s more over at the hydrodynamica blog.

[img_assist|nid=1045244|title=pickle|desc=|link=none|align=center|width=640|height=529]

I haven’t ridden the big balsa but it’s no small wave log apparently, it needs a decent wave to work as Simmons was designng for speed and distance. The mini Sims however, they just work!

RIGHTEOUS!

How is the rocker on that one? And the rails? soft?

It’s not right in front of me at the moment, but it’s got pretty flat rocker throughout…obviously a little bit of entry rocker. Down rails through most of the length until you start approaching the nose. Hard rails in roughly the back third of the board.

Hard to otherwise compare the shapes, but interestingly -  the rails are similar to the rails on my Mabile twinzer.