Bob Simmons Influence

ive been influenced…

that is a little beaut,

length?

sorry mate, i forgot them when i posted…

5’6"x21 3/4"x2 5/8"=35litres

I got the wood and made the balsa blank.

Terry Martin shaped it. Says it was the hardest and densest balsa he's ever worked....

John Cherry made the fins.

It's currently at Moonlight awaiting it's glass job.  Peter called it a micro mini Simmons....   

4'2" X 20½ 

Meant to be the ultimate belly board.

Pretty much the board I dreamed of as a little kid......

Everybody who's seen it says the same thing.....

"This thing's gonna fly........ "

Stoked to hear you’re liking the board S4Fins, and here’s a few whoopee ships…[img_assist|nid=1044534|title=3 cols|desc=|link=none|align=center|width=640|height=480]

[img_assist|nid=1044535|title=simster|desc=|link=none|align=center|width=640|height=480]

[img_assist|nid=1044538|title=The only thing I own that is close. I named it the fat bastard.|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=640|height=201]

Kirk, the Mini Simmons shaped by Joe B. at Swift is soooo much fun! Got to surf 5 times this past weeks swell at Church and Carlsbad in all tides from knee high to head high + faces. The board works fantastic. Very fast, making sections and walls and very loose. Tell all the guys thanks!!!

Here is a version from Steve Forstall

[img_assist|nid=1044579|title=A Forstall version of a Mini S.|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=480|height=640]

[img_assist|nid=1044581|title=Bottom|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=480|height=640][img_assist|nid=1044582|title=Better view of fins|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=640|height=480]

Fresh from Moonlight - handshape by Larry Mabile:

Nice stick from Larmo.

What are the dims?

Can anyone outline the thinking behind the 'Scoop Nose' in some of the Baugess/Eaton designed mini Simmons? One could suggest that swing weight may not be such a bad thing on boards that length, so I'm not sure how the scoop would positively influence any other aspect, aside from maybe pushing the balance of the board back towards the tail?

Any ideas?

Really like the nose and how all the lines come together on this board.

Very easy on the eyes.

yep- “gonna fly” took the words right out of my mouth.bitchin’!

Mabile dimensions (if I remember correctly):

6’2"x23x3 - not sure about nose or tail dimensions and the width may actually be 23.5.

It’s a bigger version of one these boards, but I’m about 6’2" 210lbs.

The scoop nose has less to do with swing weight and more to do with the belly under it displacing water where it can do some good in conjunction with the rails. There’s a lot going on with these little guys, more than just a big square tail and twin fins. Here’s Squirrel riding the balsa replica J. Cherry and T. Martin made for Richard Kenvin, Jan 2006. The minis were born out of the work done and lessons learned on the full size ones. What’s cool is how the Simmons concepts are being picked up and played with and tweaked as per many of the boards above. Forstall’s arc tail, that little quad- epic stuff. I wonder what Simmons would think?[img_assist|nid=1044594|title=squirrel06|desc=|link=none|align=center|width=640|height=484]

This 35 pound beast is a blast for small south shore surf. Beautiful morning with overhead sets.

Roger

Full on displacement hull and step deck…stunning!

Roger

Maybe I don’t get it. Seems you could shape the same belly and rails without scooping the deck. It’s probable that the originals were scooped for weight issues. Doing the same to these mini’s is more akin to fins on a 57.

The vintage real-deal Simmons is incredible. I'd love to see that in person. Hell, I'd like to buy it - but I don't have $25-50K laying around looking for a surfboard.

[quote="$1"]

Maybe I don't get it. Seems you could shape the same belly and rails without scooping the deck. It's probable that the originals were scooped for weight issues. Doing the same to these mini's is more akin to fins on a 57.

[/quote]

Yep, You are right on the money.