Bonzer conversion

Hey guys,

I just picked up an egg/disk (5-8) that a guy had converted from a single fin to a 5 fin bonzer set up (lokbox).  The bottom doesn't have the typical double concave of bonzers but rather a single concave through the fin area.  How do you guys think the bonzer set up will affect the ride with this type of bottom?  I got the board cheap so I figured that worst case, I could just ride it as a single fin.  Any thoughts/Experiences. 

Thanks

Interested to hear what others say, or what your experience is.  I know the Campbell bros spent a lot of time developing the bonzer system, but I have seen the bonzer fin setup on a flat bottom, with a good ride report. 

I love my 7'6" bonzer, I didn't make the channels as deep as most, but they're there for sure - IIRC they're about 3/16" or maybe just a bit less.  I had some delam issues with this board, so its under repair at the moment, hope to get it into some good stuff this winter 'tho.

moonlight converted some merrick  single fins to bonzer with great results.

[quote="$1"]

moonlight converted some merrick  single fins to bonzer with great results.

[/quote]

I heard about these when doing a search.  Seems that the Merricks have the double concaves out the back which makes them a good conversion.  I couldn't find any experiences/comments about this fin set up on a single concave or flat bottom board.  I figured with so many builders/shapers/thinkers on here that someone would have come across this kind of set up sometime and had either good/or bad experiences with it. 

What Makes a Bonzer a Bonzer is how the fine set and the convaves work in unisen to produce a fast down the line board without sacrificing much in the way of veritacal surfing. 

Your board maynot be a true Bonzer with all the speed of a Bonzer.  But my guess would be if the fin placement is right you are still going have a lot of fun finding the limits on that board.

[quote="$1"]

my guess would be if the fin placement is right you are still going have a lot of fun finding the limits on that board.

[/quote]

I'm thinking he's gonna love it.  Maybe he'll give us a ride report!

I think it was forum member ACE who used to shape bonzers for Eaton and mentioned that the bonzer setup works regardless of concaves.

http://www2.swaylocks.com/node/1027161

I just talked to ACE and he admitted to shaping around 6,000 bonzers I would dare say if anyone knows Bonzers better than Albert there are not many.

Lets see The Cambell Brothers, Eaton, Gary Hanel, and a few others have the Bonzer dialed in. So yeah I would think that Ace would be one of the few.

[quote="$1"]

I think it was forum member ACE who used to shape bonzers for Eaton and mentioned that the bonzer setup works regardless of concaves.

http://www2.swaylocks.com/node/1027161

[/quote]

Thanks for the link.  A very interesting read.  I will report back on the board after I ride it a few times and dial in the fin placement.  Thanks again.